To qualify as a full-time student, your course load must represent at least 70% of the hours of two-thirds of the courses required for the semester of the program in which you are enrolled.
STUDENT FEES (2016 – 2017)
The following tuition and mandatory Ancillary Fees apply to domestic full-time day students for a standard two semester program for fall intake. Rates are adjusted for part-time students and for winter/spring and summer intake. Fees are subject to change.
|Year Two||Year Three|
|Full-Time Ancillary Fees*||$1,190.00||$891.00||$1,190.00||$1,190.00|
* For a list of the many services, activities and items included within the Ancillary Fees, and the related policies, download the 2016 – 2017 Ancillary Fee Schedule for full-time students.
No additional taxes.
Programs that are less than or greater than two semesters, or offered through a different delivery option, have different costs. For example:
- Practical Nursing Tuition: $4,175.36 (Year One) and $5,807.73 (Year Two – 3 semesters), plus $1,190 in Ancillary Fees* per year. *$284 for Spring Year Two Ancillary Fee
- Collaborative Nursing Degree Tuition: $6,293.34 (Year One) and $6,233.26 (Year Two), plus $1,190 in Ancillary Fees per year.
All semester fees are payable no later than September 7, January 9, May 1 except when otherwise advised by the Registrar’s Office. Textbooks, instruments and supplies vary in cost from $500 to $2,500 per year. Most of these items are available through the College Bookstore. A $150 late fee will be charged to unpaid accounts 30 days after the start date of each semester.
Students with documented permanent disabilities who are registered with the AccessAbility Services or verified through the Financial Aid Office (OSAP) are considered full-time students when they are registered in 40% of a full course load. Loyalist College’s registration process only assesses these students with part-time post-secondary day Student Ancillary Fees. Students with documented permanent disabilities can:
- Self-declare if they want to pay all fees as an option to receive the same benefits as full time students. They would need to pay the same Ancillary Fees as full time post-secondary day students and there would be no opt-outs.
- Exercise their right not to pay all fees and understand that they will not be entitled to specific services and privileges provided by Student Government.
ADDITIONAL PROGRAM COSTS
Some programs charge an additional non-refundable fee for items such as equipment, learning materials, co-op work terms and clothing retained by the student, along with material used in the production of items that become the property of the student. Additional program costs, where applicable, will be outlined in the fee statement.
INCIDENTAL ADMINISTRATIVE CHARGES
- Official transcripts (students in attendance prior to 1995): $5.75
- Course outline requests: $5 per course to a maximum of $250
- Penalty for NSF cheques: $35
- Prior learning assessment (per course): $122.89
- Replacement of diploma: $37.45
- Supplemental exam fee: $25
- Transfer credit/exemption fee: $25 per course
- Unofficial transcripts (students in attendance prior to 1995): $2.30
- Administrative fee, part-time student withdrawals: $20 per course
CHALLENGE PROCESS AND PORTFOLIO ASSESSMENT FEE
Students who apply to challenge a course by portfolio, examination, demonstration or other acceptable method, will be assessed a non-refundable fee of $122.89 for prior learning assessment and recognition (PLAR).
International Student Fees (2016 – 2017)
Applicants who applied for a student visa may pay the following fees for regular full-time post-secondary programs (two semesters per year). Fees related to programs that are less than or greater than two semesters will be adjusted accordingly. Please note that a minimum payment equivalent to one semester is required prior to classes beginning. However, we encourage students to pay for the entire academic year in one transfer. Costs related to textbooks, instruments and supplies vary from $500 to $2,500 per year, depending on the program. Most of these items are available through the College Bookstore.
|One Semester (First)||
|Full-Time Ancillary Fees*||$1,190||$891||$607||$583|
|Health Insurance (mandatory)||$600||$600||$600||$0|
*Fees are subject to change
Students taking a course load that is less than that prescribed for full-time students are designated as part-time students. The standard tuition fee for all part-time courses is $5.70 per hour, plus an ancillary fee* of $1.80 per Student Contact Hour (SCH). Fees are subject to change.
* For a list of the many services, activities and items included within the Ancillary Fees, and the related policies, download the 2016-2017 Ancillary Fees Schedule for part-time students.
No additional taxes.
Distance Studies and Continuing Education
For costs of programs and courses offered through distance studies, including online and correspondence, visit loyalistfocus.com.
Short skills programs (under 50 weeks)
For skills programs, the tuition fee is calculated at the rate of $73.70 per week. Additional fees may be assessed for some programs. The full fee is payable in advance of registration. Fee information for specific skills programs can be obtained by inquiring at the Admissions Office.
Method of payment
You can make your payments using:
- Your bank (in person or through the bank’s online and automated bill payment options)
- A bank wire transfer (for international students)
- A personal cheque (Canadian residents only) or money order, by mail or in person. Post-dated cheques are not accepted. There is a $35 charge for NSF (non-sufficient funds) cheques.
- A debit card or cash, if paying in person.
Credit cards are no longer accepted for tuition fees, ancillary fees and Residence rent.
Payment forms are included in the fee payment package.
Students who are in any way indebted to the College cannot register for new courses, do not receive course marks or a transcript of their marks, graduation certificate or diploma, until the debt is cleared.
Withdrawal and Refund Process
- Domestic students who officially withdraw up to and including the first ten (10) days of scheduled classes of a semester are entitled to receive a refund of tuition and ancillary fees (excluding the Student ID Card & Planner fees) for that semester less a $150 administrative charge. The College will refund in full any tuition paid in advance for second and subsequent semesters. Failure to attend does not constitute a withdrawal. Students must inform the Registrar’s Office, in writing, that they are withdrawing. Withdrawal forms are available from the Student Success Mentors.
- After 10 days of scheduled classes, colleges are required to refund only tuition and ancillary fees paid in advance for subsequent semesters.
- It is the responsibility of the student to complete the official withdrawal process and/or to apply for fee refunds. Application for a fee refund should be made to the Registrar’s Office. Overpayments are not automatically refunded. Withdrawal forms are available from the Student Success Mentors.
- Fee refunds are issued directly to the student.
Fees charged for full- and part-time credit programs are established by the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development, and can be changed without advance notice. The fees indicated here are those in place for the 2016 – 2017 academic year.
Income tax receipts
Students can print an official copy of the Tuition and Education Credit Certificate (T2202A) for income tax purposes from their Banner account. This certificate includes both the number of months of schooling and the fees paid for the calendar year. Duplicate certificates are issued if requested.