Available as a one-year program
Want to learn more about this program? Join us on Saturday, November 6 for a live Financial Technology program webinar via Zoom.
If you are a domestic full-time student who applies to Loyalist College for a January start program, is accepted, and confirms their offer of admission by December 15, 2021, your name will automatically be entered into a draw to win your tuition, a laptop, and other great prizes that are all part of The Ultimate Student Giveaway.
This program will be delivered in a hybrid format in the Fall semester. For more information, please visit our Fall Program Delivery page.
One-year Ontario College Graduate Certificate
- Start Date
September and January entry
Find your career
The global FinTech market is projected to grow by 22 percent per year. By 2030, the business value brought by blockchain is expected to skyrocket to $3.1 trillion, an increase of 1,600 percent. Globally, sixty percent of bank customers have adopted FinTech and 77 percent of people make payments using their mobile devices. FinTech is becoming entrenched in the way business is done. Smart companies are hiring employees who know how to use it as a competitive advantage.
Finance is a very sizeable employer in our local region, with nearly 8,500 individuals working in these occupations in 2018 and a projected upward trend in employment levels to grow by 20% over the next seven years, the local labour market is expected to remain healthy, with a significant continuing demand for new hires.
- Financial services
- Business services
- Computer and information systems
- Data analysis
Is it for you?
- The ability to organize and lead.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Keen attention for detail.
- A passion for numbers.
- A commitment to excellence in your work.
- A creative problem solver and a logical thinker.
- Interested in staying abreast of the newest technology.
- A strong communicator who can effectively liaise with others to identify and systematically solve problems.
Gain valuable experience working alongside community partners exploring how FinTech solutions can be used to provide a competitive advantage in business, industry, and financial services.
- Analyze data to inform strategic decision-making when implementing Fintech solutions.
- Propose cryptography solutions to support secure financial transactions to manage cryptocurrencies for various stakeholders.
- Design and implement new Fintech products and services that enhance the efficiency and convenience of transactions through mobile connectivity.
- Adhere to ethical and legal guidelines to ensure data security, integrity, and confidentiality in the delivery of Fintech applications.
- Analyze organizational structures and management processes to recommend improvements to organizational performance through financial technology solutions.
- Develop plans using principles of entrepreneurship to start up, manage, and expand a small business.
- Adhere to professional practices and communication to foster positive relationships with clients and stakeholders.
- Integrate interpersonal, team building, and leadership skills to effectively participate in diverse organizational environments.
- First Year - Semester One
- FTGS1004 Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- You will explore the modern branches of AI, how to use it, and how to develop innovative applications within the marketplace.
- FTGS1001 Business Analysis for FinTech
- This course will focus on the lifecycle of a Fintech project from the perspective of a business analyst.
- FTGS1002 Financial Services and Products
- You will gain an understanding of key financial services and the products they hold to build financial knowledge and see what areas within are being disrupted by Fintech solutions.
- FTGS1005 International Finance
- This course provides a critical view into international banking and financial systems and structures. By understanding the implications of global regulatory practices, you will evaluate risks and opportunities to better ground decisions.
- FTGS1003 Leadership and Emotional Intelligence
- This course will focus on key skills by assessing personal leadership styles as well as increasing self-awareness and identity patterns of thinking.
- FTGS1000 Privacy Management and Identity Theft
- In this course, you will learn how to manage your privacy in digital enterprises. There are many complex implications surrounding data and this will help mitigate and monitor risks associated.
- First Year - Semester Two
- FTGS1010 Advanced International Finance
- This course will further expand on relevant topics in international finance. By familiarizing analytical techniques needed to evaluate empirical performance models, you will learn more about financial liberalization and banking system stability.
- FTGS1008 Blockchain Technology and Cryptocurrencies
- Take a deep dive into Blockchain technology and learn the applications this will have on future businesses and society.
- FTGS1007 Cyber Security
- This course will cover an overview of areas within cybersecurity, such as cryptography, cyber forensics, and network security.
- FTGS1006 FinTech Entrepreneurship and Start Up Strategies
- This course will focus on the entrepreneurial mindset in the Fintech space and you will discover how to start up a business by implementing various strategies.
- FTGS1012 Professional Portfolio
- Course description not available
- FTGS1011 Service Learning
- You and fellow students will undertake project-based learning with industry of community partners on an applied project in the Fintech space. The goal is for you to incorporate your key learning in a workplace setting.
- FTGS1009 The Role of Big Data in the FinTech Revolution
- In this course, you will learn what Big Data is and the critical key role it will play in the Fintech Revolution.
*Courses subject to change.
As a graduate of Loyalist’s full-time Financial Technology program, you will be equipped with the knowledge to pursue further studies in the Project Management or Cyber Security Graduate Certificate programs at Loyalist College.
Click here for information about university transfer agreements.
How much will it cost?
Approximate costs (2021 – 22)
- Domestic Tuition: $2,722.08
- Full-Time Ancillary Fees:* $1,462
- Total: $4,184.08
Additional costs, such as supplies, travel and parking, may be incurred during workplace visits, etc.
*Fees related to programs that are less than or greater than two semesters will be adjusted accordingly. Fees are subject to change. Please visit the Tuition and Fees web page for a list of the many services, activities and items included within the ancillary fees, and the related policies.
Bursaries and financial assistance
Loyalist College has a number of scholarships, bursaries and academic awards available to students. Our Financial Aid Office can help you explore your options, or assist you with a student loan.
Required academic preparation
All teaching within Loyalist College is conducted in English. In order to be successful in a program, skills such as communication, listening, comprehension, and reading and writing must be at a level sufficient to meet the demands of post-secondary studies. All applicants to Loyalist whose first language is not English, or whose previous education was in another language, will be expected to provide an English proficiency assessment for admissions approval.
Prior learning assessment and recognition
Applicants with work experiences or other types of non-credentialed learning may be eligible for credits at Loyalist. Graded credits (as opposed to exemptions) are granted. Click here for more information about our assessment and credit challenge process.