Whether you’re in school now, getting ready to start College or finishing your diploma and wondering what’s next — broaden your horizons and your career opportunities with these flexible learning options at Loyalist!
Dual Credit opportunities
Eligible Grade 11 and 12 students from the Eastern Lakeshore and Eastern Ontario regional school boards can explore many different Dual Credit opportunities through the School-College-Work Initiative at Loyalist College. Dual Credit programs allow you to earn both a high school and a College credit! Get your OSSD and prepare for a successful transition to College or an apprenticeship!
Loyalist organizes hands-on activitiy days for local students in Grades 7 through 12. Here are just a few examples of the hands-on sessions designed by Loyalist College faculty:
- A Taste of College
- Reach Ahead Media Mixer
- A Taste of Science
- A Taste of the Trades
Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP)
Loyalist offers opportunities to high school students through the Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program. Participating high school students can earn the equivalent of dual secondary credits while learning in Loyalist’s facilities from February to June.
- Automotive Service Technician Level 1 — earn an equivalent 2 dual secondary credits
- Cook Level 1 — earn an equivalent 3 dual secondary credits
OYAP Level 1 is a partnership between Loyalist College, the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities, and school boards in the Eastern Lakeshore and Eastern Ontario regions. For more information contact email@example.com.
If you have already taken a subject, why take it again? You can be awarded transfer credits for credentials earned at another post-secondary institution. Here’s how it works:
- You must apply to your course professor, coordinator or pathways coordinator for transfer credits within the first 10 school days of the academic semester
- You will need to provide all supporting documents to your professor, including official transcripts, course descriptions and international credential evaluation (WES or ICAS) for courses from non-Canadian institutions
- Courses that are approved for transfer credit are listed on your academic transcripts, but not calculated in your program weighted average
- Normally, transfer credits are only granted for credits obtained within seven years of the request
For more information, please contact Enrolment Services at 613-969-1913, ext. 2100.
Prior learning assessment and recognition
Loyalist also offers credit for your life experience and work skills. You gain experience in many ways — volunteer work, travel, previous training, or you may be self-taught. At Loyalist we believe it’s more important for you to focus on the skills you need to learn for your new career than spend time revisiting education and skills you already have.
- You can apply to have your learning assessed and receive a graded credit for each course you challenge
- Assessments can include testing, portfolio development and/or skills demonstration
- Challenges should be requested when you are admitted to the program and receive your course outlines
- You could shorten the time necessary to complete your program — less time, less money and a jump-start on your career!
For a detailed description of the process, please see Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition.
Applicants who possess a University Degree
All programs (CJSW, CUSB, PFND, PSIM) agreed that ANY university degree will suffice for direct entry into second year.
Applicants who possess a College Diploma
All programs (CJSW, CUSB, PFND, PSIN) agreed that a related human/justice services College diploma will be sufficient for direct entry into year two. Unrelated diplomas will be considered on a case-by-case basis subject to the requirements of each specific program
University transfer agreements
Many universities will provide credit recognition for your diploma studies at Loyalist, across Canada and abroad — allowing you to complete a degree in a shorter period of time, with less expense. Loyalist has more than 100 transfer agreements with universities, facilitating university admission and giving credit for college study. Program-specific opportunities are listed for each full-time program under Programs and Courses. But that’s just the beginning! Many other institutions will provide credit for your diploma studies or consider a one-year certificate towards admission; contact the university of your choice to make individual arrangements.
Loyalist offers a wide range of double diploma opportunities. After earning your diploma at Loyalist, you can complete a second diploma in a related area of study, typically in just one additional calendar year. Please discuss your options with your program coordinator. Sample pairings include:
- Biotechnology + Environmental Technician
- Business Administration + Accounting
- Civil Engineering Technician + Survey Engineering Technician
- Fitness and Health Promotion + Recreation and Leisure Services – Sports