Immigration Information

All immigration information for international students can be found on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website at or by calling 1-888-242-2100.

Under Section 91 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA), “Education agents, recruiters and employees at educational institutions, who are paid to provide services to their clients, are prohibited from providing advice to students…with regard to immigration applications, such as visas or student work permits.  As a result, they may not explain or advise a person on their immigration options, complete and submit immigration forms on a client’s behalf, communicate with CIC on a client’s behalf (except for the direct translation of a client’s written or spoken submissions), represent a client in an immigration application or advertise that they can provide immigration advice” (Bob Brack, President & CEO of Citizenship and Immigration Canada, June 20, 2013).

Please visit the following links for further information: 

 Study permits  

By Canadian law, international students are required to obtain a valid Study Permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada. To apply:

Entry visas – Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

Also known as a re-entry visa or visitor visa, this is the visa that is stuck like a sticker into your passport. Not all students require a visa to enter Canada. To find out whether this is required from your country, check the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website for a list of visa exempt countries. 

Placement work permits

For some academic programs, work experience is part of the curriculum. International students who wish to participate in a co-op or placement program must apply for a work permit (there is no fee for this application). For more information, visit:

Working while in Canada

On campus

International students interested in working on campus must apply for an international work-study position and speak to the International Coordinator. Application forms are available in the International Centre.

Off campus

Post-graduate work permit

Ontario Immigration Facebook page

The Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration Facebook page, Ontario Immigration (English)/Immigration Ontario (French), provides immigrants and newcomers with general information and customer service. Learn more about: 

  • The Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP)
  • Events, programs and services
  • How and where to settle in Ontario
  • Getting licensed in a profession in order to work
  • Language training