Must Know Info – International Students

What to bring

The following is a suggested list only. You may prefer to purchase some items upon arrival in Canada due to size and weight. It is important to check with the airline to ensure you understand baggage allowances and restrictions. Electrical currents in Canada are different from most countries, so it may be better to purchase electronic appliances within Canada. Please do not place anything of value (money, jewellery) in your luggage and be sure to carry it with you at all times. 

  • Pillows, bedding, towels, etc.
  • Personal hygiene items
  • Clothing for Canadian weather which can vary from below zero to 100 degrees Fahrenheit depending on the season
  • Informal clothing for class – both men and women wear slacks, blue jeans, sweatpants, etc.
  • More formal clothing just in case – dress or skirt for women, shirt and tie or suit for men
  • National dress, instruments, or other traditional material for international activities
  • Outdoor clothing such as light/heavy coats, rainwear and umbrella, hat, scarf, gloves
  • Pictures of family or other things you love from home for comfort and encouragement
  • Medicine until you become familiar with what is available in Canada
  • Prescription, doctor’s instructions or medicine with English translation if necessary
  • Immunization Record (see below)
  • Canadian currency to cover immediate costs such as rent, textbooks or groceries (we recommend at least $1,000 CAD)

Health Insurance

Your tuition payment includes mandatory health insurance for international students while you are in Canada, effective as of September 1. It is highly recommended that you purchase your own travel insurance if arriving in Canada before this date. Students who do not confirm with the international coordinator that they are planning to arrive and begin classes will not be automatically registered for this insurance and therefore will not be covered. Medical attention can be extremely expensive in Canada, so it is very important to have this coverage. Your policy will not cover pre-existing conditions.

Immunization Record

Some programs, as part of the admission requirements, and to meet legalization for placement in various community facilities, require submission of the Loyalist College Immunization Record. This must be completed and returned to the Health Centre

It is advisable for all international students to bring proof of immunization and medical records to Canada, regardless of whether or not it is required for your program.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)

International students coming to study in Canada are required to apply for a study permit and, if applicable, a temporary residence visa (TRV or entry visa). Please visit the CIC website at for more information an to understand the rules and regulations on becoming an international student studying in Canada.

Working in Canada

As outlined by Canada Immigration, international students must be full-time students and in good academic standing to be eligible to work off campus. 

Jobs are not guaranteed for international students. Students will need to apply with a resume and possibly have a job interview before being hired. Our Career Centre will be available to provide guidance to international students applying for jobs on our campus and in our community. 

Additional Information

Questions? Please contact