A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a 9-digit number that you need to legally work in Canada. A SIN is issued to one person only and cannot legally be used by anyone else. Due to COVID-19, Service Canada has limited in-person appointments available. Please see below information on how you can receive your SIN.
- Copy of your original Study Permit issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), indicating that you are authorized to work in Canada. This cannot be the approval letter.
- Document with photo and legal name (eg: passport, driver’s license)
- Proof of residency that includes your local address which can be any of the following documents:
- Government document
- Bank document
- Employment contract
- Bill for payment such as: cell phone, utility, cable
- Lease/rental agreement or confirmation from your landlord
- Loyalist College Residence – students living in Residence can request a letter confirming address from Residence Staff
If you are not living on campus within the Loyalist College Residence, the College is unable to provide a letter confirming local address. You will need to provide a lease/rental agreement or confirmation from your landlord.
There is no cost to apply for a SIN.
1) SIN Online Portal
Applying online is easy. Submit a SIN application online within a secure and protected environment using SIN online and upload digital copies of your documents. Please consult the What do you need before you apply page to ensure you have all the required documents ready before you apply.
2) By mail
You can also apply for your SIN by mail. If you choose this option, you must provide a completed SIN application form in addition to your original documents. Your original documents will be sent back once your application is processed.
3) Visit by appointment
If you require service in-person, please make a request for an appointment by filling out the service request form. A Service Canada officer will call you back within two business days. If your request cannot be completed by phone, you will be offered an appointment for service at a Service Canada Centre. Please note that Service Canada is not accepting requests for same day bookings.
Application Processing Time
Online/paper applications can take approximately 25 business days* to process. The SIN is mailed from New Brunswick and are mailed to your local address and not Loyalist College. International students are not legally eligible for employment without their SIN.
*COVID-19 can impact processing times and can cause delays. This timeline is a guideline only and students should not submit more than one application.