Social Insurance Number (SIN)

A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a 9-digit number that you need to legally work in Canada. A SIN is issued to one person only and cannot legally be used by anyone else. Due to COVID-19, Service Canada can no longer issue SIN’s by in-person appointments and all applications must be submitted online or by mail. 

Documents Required:

  • Copy of your original Study Permit issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), indicating that you are authorized to work in Canada. This cannot be the approval letter.
  • Document with photo and legal name (eg: passport, driver’s license)
  • Proof of residency that includes your local address which can be any of the following documents:
    • Government document
    • Bank document
    • Employment contract
    • Bill for payment such as: cell phone, utility, cable
    • Lease/rental agreement or confirmation from your landlord
    • Loyalist College Residence – students living in Residence can request a letter confirming address from Residence Staff

If you are not living on campus within the Loyalist College Residence, the College is unable to provide a letter confirming local address. You will need to provide a lease/rental agreement or confirmation from your landlord.


There is no cost to apply for a SIN.

 To Apply:

Your application will require at least one parent’s full name (first and last) and place of birth. For more information and to apply, please visit: Social Insurance Application

Application Processing Time:

Online/paper applications can take approximately 25 business days* to process. The SIN is mailed from New Brunswick and are mailed to your local address and not Loyalist College. International students are not legally eligible for employment without their SIN.

*COVID-19 can impact processing times and can cause delays. This timeline is a guideline only and students should not submit more than one application.