Belleville, Ontario, December 22, 2017 – The past year has been a time to reflect on Loyalist College’s roots, acknowledge its present and plan for its future. 2017 marked Loyalist’s 50th anniversary and that of Ontario’s college system. This milestone has been a wonderful opportunity to recognize more than 40,000 Loyalist graduates who have gone on to pursue their dreams and contribute to their communities.
The most significant highlights this term have been our students’ progress and personal growth, which are facilitated every day through the learning-centred focus which is the core of the Loyalist academic experience.
- The anniversary was recognized at the College throughout the year, particularly in conjunction with Loyalist’s 50th Convocation in June (Family Fun Day on campus and Cruising Canoes Adventure Tour) and in September (Colleges Ontario 50thAnniversary Mobile Tour, Dedication Stones Ceremony in Alumni Gardens and Memorial Grove, and Bay of Quinte Boat Cruise).
- In celebration of the 50th Anniversary of Ontario’s college system, the province declared April 3 to 9, 2017 as Colleges Week and made an investment in each of Ontario’s 24 publicly assisted colleges to enhance the student experience. With the ($1,412,200) funding, Loyalist is acquiring lab equipment, and developing innovative classroom space with technology and upgraded wireless capacity to provide enhanced educational experiences for students.
- In honour of Loyalist’s 50th Anniversary, 50 first-year students at the College received a $1,000 Entrance Award.
- In addition, 50 returning students received an award valued at $500 each, funded by a generous donation from the John M. & Bernice Parrott Foundation.
- Loyalist applied for a ‘Controlled Drugs and Substance Licence’ from Health Canada, which was received in January 2017. Loyalist is the only College in Canada with this licence, which allows Loyalist to provide an essential service to Licenced Producers and industry in the sector by providing analyses of cannabis for quality assurance, safety and product development. Loyalist responds to the natural product sector through technology development and applied research that reflects regional industry needs and supports economic growth, as well as health and environmental impact through innovation. Recently, the College provided $950,000 to support the purchase of updated industry relevant equipment, and continues to build capacity through faculty researchers and support personnel.
The Loyalist College Foundation
- The College is grateful for the wonderful support of students and programs from our community donors. At the Annual Meeting of The Loyalist College Foundation on May 25, members learned that the endowed fund for student support had reached a significant milestone of $10.6 million at March 31, 2017.
Outstanding Philanthropist Award: Lanny and Catharine Huff
- On November 15, at the 2017 National Philanthropy Day Awards for the Association of Fundraising Professionals South Eastern Ontario Chapter, Lanny and Catharine Huff were presented with the Outstanding Philanthropist Award. Loyalist was honoured to nominate Mr. and Mrs. Huff for this award, which recognizes an individual or family with a proven record of exceptional generosity who, through direct financial support, demonstrates outstanding civic and charitable responsibility and whose generosity encourages others to take philanthropic leadership roles on a community, national and/or international level. Their major gift support and volunteer support have helped Loyalist immensely over the years. Mrs. Huff has served as a director on the College Foundation since 2010, helping oversee the programs and especially the endowment fund for awards.
New Programs and Pathway Agreement
- Radiation Safety (offered at the College’s Port Hope satellite location)
- Community Integration Through Co-operative Education (CICE)
- Computer Networking and Technical Support (for International Students)
- Global Business Management
- Project Management
- In September, Loyalist signed a pathway agreement with York University which provides eligible Animation, Journalism & Communications and Film & TV Production diploma graduates the opportunity to enter York’s Consecutive Bachelor of Education (BEd) in Technological Education program.
Outstanding Varsity Athletes and Teams
- Women’s rugby team placed in the provincial finals this year (OCAA Bronze).
- Women’s volleyball team currently ranked fifth provincially.
- Sarah Piana Yafu is currently ranked number one women’s volleyball player in the province and Canada in a stat called “Kills Per Set.”
- Jenni Thompson from the College’s women’s basketball team is the top scorer in the province and second in the country.
- Loyalist is known for having one of the highest numbers of OCAA Academic Award winners in the province. In March 2017, the Loyalist Lancers announced that 63 student athletes had received OCAA Academic Awards. Recipients had an academic average of 80 percent or higher, and 14 had an average of 90 percent or higher.
- Emilie Leneveu (WVB) & Tigh Chapman (MBB) received CCAA Academic All Canadian Awards, which recognizes both commitment to academic success and athletic achievement.
2018 Upcoming Events
- Open Houses – Saturday, January 27 and Saturday, April 14
- Career Fairs – Wednesday, February 7 and Monday, February 12
Located on more than 200 acres in the beautiful Bay of Quinte region, Loyalist College is a close-knit community where students and their success come first. Loyalist provides personalized attention in small classes, rewarding field placements and superior student services. To prepare students for in-demand careers, Loyalist offers more than 65 full-time programs; apprenticeships; and hundreds of online, distance and in-class courses, as well as opportunities for continuing education through more than 70 university transfer agreements. The College’s wide selection of advanced diplomas, diplomas and certificates aligns with market-driven disciplines including applied sciences, biosciences, building sciences, business and management studies, health sciences, human studies, justice studies, media, arts and design, and skills and technology. In Ontario, the College’s new Digital Media Centre and The Bay of Quinte Skills Centre, which is LEED® Silver certified, are training centres of choice for students, as well as College business and industry partners. The College is a key driver of the social and economic health and prosperity of the area and contributes 5.4 percent to the Gross Regional Product. This represents an overall effect on the regional economy of $530 million annually – based on a 2014 Report by Economic Modeling Specialists International (EMSI). For more information on the College’s Belleville and Bancroft campuses and Port Hope satellite location, visit loyalistcollege.com.
Contact: Kerry Lorimer, Director of Marketing, Communications & Recruitment
Loyalist College, email@example.com, 613-969-1913 ext. 2536