Belleville, Ontario, July 27, 2021 – Today Loyalist College announced that Sean Monteith will serve as Senior Vice President Academic effective August 3. Mr. Monteith was Director of Education for the Hastings Prince Edward District School Board and was Director of Education for the Keewatin-Patricia District School Board.
“Sean is widely known throughout Ontario’s education system as an inspired leader and advocate for student-centred learning, and we are grateful that he has chosen Loyalist College,” said Dr. Ann Marie Vaughan, President and CEO. “Deeply focused on enabling access to education for those most at risk of being excluded from or lost in our educational systems, Sean is a perfect fit for our growing Destination College. He will aid us in our mission of empowering students through experiential, industry cluster-based education, training and applied research while strengthening the attributes of graduates, namely in Indigenous and cross-cultural understanding.”
Some of the exceptional initiatives Sean has led include the following:
- Increased graduation rates among Indigenous and rural/northern students, including the biggest gains among First Nations students provincially, leading to the establishment of the provincially funded Indigenous Graduation Coach Program;
- Developed a regional Northern Student Achievement Strategy with an explicit focus on wrap-around services to support student attendance, engagement, achievement, and graduation, later to be funded and supported by the Ministry of Education;
- Achieving “student-centred” successful partnerships and formalized official education services (tuition) agreements, new teacher induction mentorship agreements, and provincial/federal education service agreements with Indigenous tribal councils and First Nations, including the Nishnawbe Aski Nation, Grand Council Treaty #9, Seven Generations Education Institute, Keewaytinook Okimakanak Board of Education, Northern Nishnawbe Education Council, and Grand Council Treaty #3;
- Implemented an Efficacy Working Group comprised of representatives from all staffing groups, adopting a “servant-leadership” model to inform and recommend developmental planning to senior and executive administration; and
- Establishment of Equity and Inclusive objectives for racialized students and families, and stated priorities for advancing reconciliation with First Nation communities.
Dedicated to lifelong learning, Mr. Monteith holds a Bachelor of Arts (Hons) from the University of Ottawa; a Bachelor of Education and a Master of Education from Lakehead University; and is currently pursuing his Ph.D. through the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education/University of Toronto.
About Loyalist College
Ranked one of Canada’s top 50 research colleges and #1 in the country for industry research income as a percentage of total research income, Loyalist College empowers students, faculty, staff, and partners through experiential, industry cluster-based education, training and applied research programs. As Ontario’s Destination College, the College provides job-ready graduates for, and knowledge transfer to, industry and the community. Of 2018-19 graduates, 88.8 percent were employed within six months after graduation. Located on more than 200 acres in the beautiful Bay of Quinte region, the College is perfectly positioned between Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. Loyalist College offers more than 70 full-time diploma, certificate and apprenticeship programs in biosciences, building sciences, business, community service, health and wellness, media studies, public safety, and skilled trades. Continuing education options are available through LoyalistFocus.com, including hundreds of online, distance and in-class courses, and through the College’s 100+ university transfer agreements. Loyalist College is a key driver of social and economic health in eastern Ontario. It contributes 3.7 percent of the Gross Regional Product, representing $382 million annually to the regional economy – based on a March 2020 report by Emsi. For more information on Loyalist College’s Belleville, Bancroft and Toronto campuses and Port Hope satellite location, visit YoureGoingPlaces.com.
– 30 –
Contact: Ashliegh Gehl, Coordinator, Marketing, Communications
Loyalist College, email@example.com, 613-969-1913, ext. 2826