Cannabis Applied Science
Available as a one-year program
Want to learn more about this program? Join us on Saturday, November 6 for a live Cannabis Applied Science program webinar via Zoom.
This program will be delivered in a hybrid format in the Fall semester. For more information, please visit our Fall Program Delivery page.
One-year Ontario College Graduate Certificate
- Start Date
Find your career
Graduates are prepared to work in a range of roles in the evolving cannabis industry and natural product sector including, but not limited to, the following:
- Cannabis quality assurance manager
- Lead processing technician
- Formulation chemist
Is it for you?
You may be well suited for a career in the cannabis industry if you:
- Are flexible and adaptable to change
- Possess strong math and science skills
- Seek out creative and innovative solutions to problems
- Are inquisitive and resourceful
- Have strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Enjoy working as part of a team and exploring new technologies
This hands-on program is delivered in collaboration with Loyalist’s Applied Research Centre for Natural Products and Medical Cannabis (ARC), Canada’s only College laboratory approved to conduct research with cannabis under the Narcotic Control Regulations, as listed on the Government of Canada’s website.
Develop the in-demand skills needed for success in the cannabis industry through unparalleled training experiences:
- Study in a Health Canada licensed facility on advanced extraction technologies with an array of state-of-the art analytical instrumentation. A focus on green technologies, such as supercritical CO2 extraction, aligns with industry’s transition away from the use of petrochemical solvents.
- Learn how to apply a range of lab techniques for the extraction and analysis of cannabis to increase the quality, consistency and safety of cannabis and cannabis products.
- Understand relevant legislations, regulations and guidelines pertaining to the cannabis industry, and explore appropriate security and safety protocols.
- Apply your knowledge to real-world challenges through work integrated learning (WIL) with Licensed Producers.
- First Year - Semester One
- BIOL1007 Cannabis Biology
- This course investigates historical factors which have influenced the morphology, distribution and ecology of the cannabis plant. Topics including, but not limited to, taxonomic classification, cultivars, chemovars, cellular and molecular biology, microbiology and genetics of cannabis will be examined.
- CHEM1021 Cannabis Chemistry
- This course will investigate secondary metabolites of the cannabis plant, including, but not limited to, cannabinoids and terpenes.The influence of the organic structure on the physical and chemical properties will also be examined.
- CANN1006 Cannabis Production and Process Optimization
- This course will examine factors that influence variable cannabis production scenarios, design of experiments (DoE) for extraction optimization and processing parameters, and statistical process control (SPC) to monitor production processes. Students will use industry drivers to determine scale-up and economic feasibility.
- CANN1005 Extraction Science for Cannabis
- Students will apply conventional and advanced extraction methods that are used in the cannabis industry.
- LAWS1017 Navigating Cannabis Regulations
- In this course, students will examine relevant municipal, provincial, federal and international legislation, regulations, and guidelines pertaining to various areas of the cannabis industry. Good Agricultural, Manufacturing and Laboratory practices (GAP/GMP/GLP) will be studied. Students will also examine how factors such as funding streams, ethics and economics can affect the credibility of industry research.
- First Year - Semester Two
- CANN1001 Analytical Testing of Cannabis
- This course will introduce methods of sample preparation and analytical testing methods utilized in the cannabis industry. Students will build on knowledge of standard operating procedures, method validation, and good lab practices.
- CANN1000 Cannabis Cultivation Science
- This course will investigate cultivation science and evaluation of the factors influencing plant production, cultivation techniques, organic growing and tissue culture.
- CANN1004 Cannabis Formulation and Product Development
- Cannabis biochemistry and pharmacology will be introduced in this course. The endocannabinoid system will be investigated. Topics specific to formulation of cannabis including, but not limited to, types of formulation (dry powder, liquid, etc.), equipment requirements, characterization techniques and manufacturing considerations. Dose-control, consistent dosing and absorption will be covered, and common modes of administration (oral, topicals, trans-dermals, sub-liquals, vaping, etc.) will be compared and contrasted.
- WKPL1023 Work Integrated Learning
- Leading up to this final module in the program, students will have the opportunity to reflect on topics/courses within the program most interesting to them. Through experiential learning, students will reinforce program outcomes and apply their knowledge and highly relevant skill set in an industry setting and/or in the Applied Research Centre for Natural Products and Medical Cannabis on an industry project. This experience could be focused on the sciences – extraction, analytical testing, quality control, cultivation, formulation, etc. – or an area which is peripheral to the sciences but would be strengthened by a background in science (marketing, communication, project management, regulations, government, etc.).
*Courses subject to change.
Expand your knowledge with a related graduate certificate
Turn your diploma into a degree
Many universities across Canada and abroad will provide credit recognition for your post-graduate studies at Loyalist College. Contact your university of choice to make individual arrangements. Click here for more information about university transfer agreements.
How much will it cost?
Approximate costs (2021 – 22)
- Domestic Tuition: $2,722.08
- Full-Time Ancillary Fees:* $1,462
- Total: $4,184.08
Additional costs, such as supplies, personal computer/laptop, travel and parking, may be incurred during workplace visits, etc.
*Fees related to programs that are less than or greater than two semesters will be adjusted accordingly. Fees are subject to change. Please visit the Tuition and Fees web page for a list of the many services, activities and items included within the ancillary fees, and the related policies.
Bursaries and financial assistance
Loyalist College has a number of scholarships, bursaries and academic awards available to students. Our Financial Aid Office can help you explore your options, or assist you with a student loan.
- Ontario College Diploma, Ontario College Advanced Diploma, Degree or equivalent in Biology, Chemistry, or a related sciences-based discipline.
- Proof of English proficiency.
- Applicants will also have to provide a recent and valid criminal record check in order to comply with Health Canada regulations and be eligible to work with cannabis. A recent and valid criminal record check will also be required by the Licensed Producers (LPs) who will be participating with the work practical component of this program.
Prior learning assessment and recognition
Applicants with work experiences or other types of non-credentialed learning may be eligible for credits at Loyalist. Graded credits (as opposed to exemptions) are granted. Click here for more information about our assessment and credit challenge process.
This program has a limited number of seats available for international students. Click here for information about how to apply, international student fees and more.
LOYALIST COLLEGE RECEIVES ITS FIRST MITACS ACCELERATE FUNDING AWARDS
Belleville, Ontario, March 9, 2021 – Loyalist College’s Applied Research Centre has received its first two Mitacs Accelerate funding awards totalling $30,000 to support an applied research project... Read More
LOYALIST COLLEGE STUDENT KATIE ILES AWARDED CICAN’S PAUL AND GERRI C...
Belleville, Ontario, December 16, 2020 – Loyalist College announced today that Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICan) has awarded Katie Iles, a Cannabis Applied Science student, with its Paul and G... Read More
LOYALIST COLLEGE AND NORTHEASTERN UNIVERSITY ANNOUNCEMENT
On Friday, December 6, Loyalist College and Northeastern University will announce a partnership designed to benefit Biosciences and Cannabis Applied Science students, and advance applied cannabis rese... Read More
LOYALIST COLLEGE TO LAUNCH CANADA’S FIRST TECHNOLOGY ACCESS CENTRE ...
Belleville, Ontario, June 13, 2019 – Loyalist College is the recipient of a $1,750,000 Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) College and Community Innovation (CCI) Prog... Read More
LOYALIST COLLEGE INTRODUCES CANADA’S FIRST CANNABIS APPLIED SCIENCE ...
Belleville, Ontario, April 19, 2018 – Loyalist College has launched an eight-month Cannabis Applied Science (CSGS) Ontario College post-graduate certificate program with funding approval by the Min... Read More
In the News
The Spark Magazine