Law Clerk AdvancedNEW
Ontario College Graduate Certificate
Want to learn more about this program? Join us on Saturday, November 6 for a live Law Clerk Advanced program webinar via Zoom.
One-year Ontario College Graduate Certificate
- Start Date
Find your career
Graduates of this program will offer a unique set of skills, those of both a paralegal and a law clerk. Prepare for a rewarding career working as part of a legal team in settings such as law firms, government legal departments, ministries and agencies, financial institutions, insurance companies and corporate legal departments.
Graduates will be well versed in diverse legal matters, including the following:
- Civil litigation
- Corporate and commercial law
- Real estate and family law
- Wills and estates
- And more
Is it for you?
A career in the legal field is both challenging and rewarding. You may be well suited to a career as a law clerk if you:
- Want a career where you can help and support others
- Are detail-oriented and analytical
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment
- Are able to work both independently and as part of a team
Develop the knowledge and skills needed to support the needs of clients and legal professionals with this hands-on program:
- Learn how to effectively apply accurate legal terminology and develop professional communication strategies, both orally and in writing.
- Practise using electronic and print resources within the legal environment to assist with file and evidentiary management, facilitate communication, and generate legal documentation in compliance with current regulations and procedures.
- Gain experience drafting legal documents and performing administrative duties required for the operation of various legal environments.
The courses for this program are currently being revised. Please check back to this page regularly for updates.
*Courses subject to change.
Turn your diploma into a degree
Many universities across Canada and abroad will provide credit recognition for your diploma studies at Loyalist College. The following is a list of agreements that are currently in place. There are many more options, and new agreements are added annually. Click here for more information about university transfer agreements.
- Algoma University - B.A.; B.B.A.; B.Sc.; Bachelor of Computer Science
- Athabasca University - Bachelor of Professional Arts in Human Services
- Brock University - various *
- Humber College - Bachelor of Applied Arts in Paralegal Studies
- Lakehead University - various*
- Laurentian University - various*
- Laurier Brantford - any honours program
- Nipissing University - various*
- Seneca College - Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies
- University of Ontario Institute of Technology - Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Legal Studies; B.A. Adult Education and Digital Technology
- University of Waterloo - various*
- Wilfrid Laurier University - various*
- York University - various*
*Various potential degree pathways.
How much will it cost?
Approximate costs (2021 – 22)
- Domestic Tuition: $2,722.08
- Full-Time Ancillary Fees:* $1,462
- Total: $4,184.08
Additional costs, such as supplies, travel and parking, may be incurred during workplace visits, etc.
*Fees related to programs that are less than or greater than two semesters will be adjusted accordingly. Fees are subject to change. Please visit the Tuition and Fees web page for a list of the many services, activities and items included within the ancillary fees, and the related policies.
Bursaries and financial assistance
Loyalist College has a number of scholarships, bursaries and academic awards available to students. Our Financial Aid Office can help you explore your options, or assist you with a student loan.
Required academic preparation
This program is available only to applicants with an Ontario college credential from a Paralegal program accredited by the Law Society of Ontario.
Prior learning assessment and recognition
Applicants with work experiences or other types of non-credentialed learning may be eligible for credits at Loyalist. Graded credits (as opposed to exemptions) are granted. Click here for more information about our assessment and credit challenge process.
Click here for information about how to apply, international student fees and more.