Service Leadership (Special Program at Florida State University)
Program Dates: June – December 2018
- Start Date
Jun. 2 – 11 at FSU; Jun. 11 – Dec. 20 at Walt Disney World Resort
The Service Leadership program is available to students majoring in approved programs at Loyalist College.
During their 10-day stay at Florida State University (FSU), students are enrolled in an intensive three-credit course in Managing Service Organizations. This course incorporates experiential learning, using a combination of classroom instruction and course-related field trips.
While at FSU, students live on campus in an apartment-style residence hall and eat at the historic "Suwannee Room" dining hall. Four current FSU students are selected as Peer Mentors to act as cultural ambassadors and provide ongoing support to program participants. Peer Mentors live and eat with students and facilitate a variety of social and cultural activities in the afternoons and evenings.
For more information about this special program at FSU, please click here.
Disney International College Program
Upon completion of FSU's on-campus component of the program, students travel to Orlando to begin a six-month academic training (placement) experience at Walt Disney World Resort. Students work in one of the parks, resorts or entertainment areas of Walt Disney World Resort.
While students are in Orlando, faculty and staff from FSU travel monthly to Walt Disney World Resort to facilitate classes and provide program support. During this time, students earn three credits for their six-month academic training experience (placement) and six additional credits for the two courses taught by an FSU instructor.
During their academic training at Walt Disney World Resort, students live in company-sponsored housing specifically designated for program participants. The apartments are fully furnished and include utilities, internet and access to a bus system specifically for Disney cast members. For more information, see TheDisneyIP.com.
Please see below for the program fee breakdown:
$4,800 USD to Florida State University +
$1,200 CAD to Loyalist College
- 12 Florida State University (FSU) credits:
- Three credits from FSU course on campus
- Six credits for two courses taught by an FSU instructor while at Walt Disney World Resort
- Three credits for a six-month academic training experience at Walt Disney World Resort
- Textbook and materials for FSU course
- Room and Board at FSU
- Health Insurance covering pre-existing conditions (for non-U.S. passport holders)
- Group pick-up from the Tallahassee International Airport
- Transportation to Orlando from FSU
- Local field trip, social and cultural activities
- Bed linens, pillow, towels, lanyard and polo shirt
- Ongoing support from FSU staff
- Round-trip airfare to the U.S. – Tallahassee arrival
- J-1 student visa application fee and SEVIS fee
- Disney Program Assessment Fee (approximately $354.50 USD)
- Personal expenses
- Must be enrolled full time in a compatible Loyalist program and be in good academic standing
- Enrolled full time in the Winter 2017 semester at Loyalist
- At least 18 years of age upon arrival at FSU
- Score at least 5.5 on the IELTS, 500 on the PBT, 61 on the iBT, or 550-600 on the TOEIC (if English is not your first language)
- Pass interviews with Loyalist College staff and with a Disney recruiter
NOTE: If you are accepted into the Disney program, fees must be paid in full within 30 days of receiving your offer.
How to Apply
Application deadline: January 30, 2018
For more information, or to apply, please contact:
Kim Grimes, M.Ed, B.Sc., B.A.
Professor and Coordinator, Sports and Entertainment Sales and Marketing, Post-Grad
Tel: 613-969-1913, ext. 2221