Student Success at Loyalist College is excited to support our online learners through virtual tutoring.
Mary McConnell, Student Success Mentor
Mary has worked at Loyalist for almost 29 years. A graduate of the Early Childhood Education program, she worked in the Lab School before taking on the role of Student Success Mentor. She has extensive experience in the ECE field and presently works closely with Health Sciences and Human Services programs, Distance programs and College Prep students to provide academic support. A warm and supportive person, Mary can work with you to get a better understanding of the expectations of assignments and offer strategies for studying, preparing for tests and exams.
Alison Hambleton, Learning Strategist
As Loyalist College’s Learning Strategist, Alison comes to us with 25 years’ experience in education and the social services. Alison has her Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and Bachelor of Education from Queen’s University. Registered with the Ontario College of Teachers, Alison has been a classroom and learning support teacher, a literacy and basic skills instructor and an adult educator. A caring and friendly educator, Alison provides inclusive academic support across all programs at Loyalist. In particular, she has extensive knowledge supporting individuals with complex needs. Having worked as a behaviour therapist, family support worker and complex needs specialist, she is looking forward to supporting students in our Developmental Service Worker program.
What do I need to connect with an online tutor?
- Computer with a strong internet connection
- Chrome browser
- Webcam with microphone and speakers
- Loyalist email account
You are not required to download a program or app. Online tutoring uses Blackboard Collaborate which can be accessed through a link; you will receive a link to Blackboard Collaborate by email once you sign up.
How do I book an appointment?
Email or call Student Success:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 613-969-1913, ext. 2519
You will need to provide the following:
- Student number
- Loyalist email address
- Reason for appointment – as much detail as possible
- Preferred time of appointment
- Length – how much time is needed?
30 minutes before your appointment…
- Assemble your course outline, assignment and materials.
15 minutes before your appointment…
- Click on the link provided in the email from Student Success.
- Test your audio/video.
- Wait for tutor to join.
What to expect
At the beginning of your first session, staff will help familiarize you with the Blackboard Collaborate environment. Once you are comfortable, tutoring will begin. Please give staff time to familiarize themselves with your needs and material.
Other resources at Loyalist
- Tutoring Services
- Drop-in tutoring for English, Math and Computers.
- One-on-one course-specific tutoring – students are matched with upper-year students.
- Student Success Mentoring
- Don’t know where to go or who to ask? See your Student Success Mentor. Our mentors guide students to develop educational plans which support their life and, in collaboration with other College resources, assist students in identifying options for success.
- Specialized tutoring for students with a permanent disability.
Contact Student Success:
Phone: 613-969-1913, ext. 2519