We’re here to help. At Loyalist we recognize the important role of education in personal growth and enhancing your quality of life. We’re here to support you – academically, socially and personally – with free, short-term, confidential Counselling Services. Our goal is to help you maximize your potential, in a safe and supportive environment.
We offer support that:
- Helps you develop the skills, attitudes, abilities and insights to meet both academic and life challenges
- Assists you in overcoming personal challenges that may stand in the way of your success
- Connects you to additional community supports
- Promotes the wellness of the whole person: emotional, social, spiritual, intellectual and physical
Who are your Counsellors?
Our Counsellors are Master-level trained clinicians, registered with professional regulatory colleges and licensed to provide counselling and psychotherapy services in Ontario. They have a wealth of experience to help you define your goals, tap into your own strengths and build opportunities for positive change.
Julie Millar BSW, MSW, RSW
Cassie Richardson, M.Sc., R.P, RMFT
What can I expect from a counselling appointment?
- Solution-focused: the process is collaborative and directed by your goals
- Self-directed: the counsellor won’t require you to talk about any particular issue but will help you decide what is most important
- Without obligation: you are not required to come more than once, but you can come back if you feel the appointment was helpful
- Confidential and free
What are some common misconceptions about counselling?
During sessions, counsellors will not…
- Prescribe medication
- Tell you what to do (but they will offer suggestions, strategies and guidance)
- Pressure you to return for follow-up
When might I find counselling helpful?
- If challenges in your personal life are interfering with your ability to be successful in your academic life
- You have a problem that does not seem to go away or is getting worse
- You are concerned you are being bullied, harassed or treated unfairly
- You have been or are at risk of being abused (physically, emotionally or mentally)
- You feel “stuck” and could benefit from another perspective
- You are referred by a friend, family member, faculty, or another person who has expressed concern for your well-being
- You are experiencing things that are unusual or make you uncomfortable
- You have trouble sleeping or are experiencing mood swings, bad dreams or cannot concentrate
- You are worried about your emotional or mental health
- You are struggling with self-confidence or self-esteem
What are some common concerns discussed in counselling?
There are many issues students bring to counselling, including the following:
- Feeling out of control
- Eating disorders
- Bullying and harassment
- Substance use or other addictions
- Sexual or other assault
- Mental health concerns
- Relationship issues
- Grief and loss
- Access to community counselling
How do I arrange for an appointment?
- To schedule an appointment, please email email@example.com
- You will be asked to complete an intake form, outlining your reasons for seeking counselling
- Based on the information provided, staff will support you in booking an appointment time
- When meeting with your counsellor, you will be asked to fill out a Confidentiality Agreement
How can I get the most out of counselling?
- Prior to your session, think about what you want to talk about and the goals you hope to work towards
- Attend sessions
- Be open and honest
- Be willing to consider new strategies and outlooks relating to your concerns
- Understand that working towards goals in between sessions is part of the process
What if I need to cancel or reschedule my appointment?
If you’re unable to attend OR no longer need your appointment, please notify staff in one of the following ways:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call 613-969-1913, ext. 2519
- Email your counsellor directly
Notifying staff as early as possible allows the appointment time to be utilized by another student.
What if I need after-hours support?