A scholarship is an award recognizing academic excellence or achievement. In certain cases, financial need may be taken into account as a secondary criterion to decide between candidates of approximately equal achievement.
A bursary is an award that is distributed based on financial need. When applying for a bursary, you must supply a financial disclosure form. Bursaries may also request that applicants meet certain geographical or demographic requirements. All bursaries are presented at the Awards Ceremony in the fall, unless otherwise noted.
An award is a loosely defined term referring to awards that are neither scholarships nor bursaries. In certain cases, awards may be plaques or recognition certificates, while in other cases awards may be professional memberships coupled with cash prizes. All awards are presented at the Awards Ceremony in the fall, unless otherwise noted.
General bursaries, based on financial need, are available from funds set aside from tuition fees. These bursaries are awarded in both November and February. Contact the Financial Assistance Office for further details and an application. Please note that in addition to bursaries, a total of $300,000 is available College-wide through the Loyalist work study program.
An entering student is an individual who is entering post-secondary education for the first time. An entering student may not necessarily have come straight from high school. An entering student may also be a mature student who is entering college after several years in the workforce.
A returning student is an individual who has completed their first year of studies in a two- or three-year Loyalist College program.
A graduating student is an individual who is completing their two- or three-year program of study at Loyalist College. Many award and scholarship recipients are identified by program coordinators as having excelled in their studies. These awards generally recognize achievement once a student is graduating from Loyalist College.
A post-graduate student is someone who has graduated from a university or college program and is now entering post-graduate studies at Loyalist College.
The Bursary application has closed now for the Winter semester. There will be additional bursaries for students taking programs over the Summer semester (available on April 20).
Students are also encouraged to pursue awards that are available in the community and not exclusive to Loyalist College. Please check out the opportunities below.
The Electro-Federation Scholarship Program
Electro-Federation is offering $156,250 across 62 scholarships for Canadian university & college students. Students must have successfully completed first year with a minimum 75% average.
Click here for the online application site in both English and French.
Application Deadline: May 31, 2018
Haywood Hunt & Associates Inc. Scholarship Program
Our company, Haywood | Hunt & Associates Inc. based in Toronto, is proud to announce our inaugural Scholarship Program for the 2018 – 2019 school year! This scholarship is available to Canadian college and university students
Here are the details:
- Available to all accepted or enrolled Canadian University and College students.
- Must apply to the contest via email, providing your name, email, phone and educational institution.
- Applications should be emailed to email@example.com in word format, no link to Google Docs or PDFs.
- Students are asked to write a short 500 – 1000 word essay on how “The Internet and Social Media have changed the way that Police and Law Enforcement investigate crimes.”
- Contest closes August 31, 2018
- Winner will be chosen Friday, September 7, 2018
Please click here for application details.
Application Deadline: August 31, 2018
The Microdea – Synergy Scholarship Fund
To be eligible, applicants, must meet the following criteria:
- Must be currently attending a post-secondary institution
- Applicants under 18 must have permission from a parent or legal guardian
- Applicants must provide their name, address, and the name of the institution they’re attending
For complete details, please visit learn.microdea.com/scholarship
Application Deadline: July 31, 2018 at 11:59 pm EST
Dr. E. Bruce Hendrick Scholarship Program
Open to Canadian citizens with spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus residing in the province of Ontario.
For details, click here.
Application Deadline: Last day of April
Eligibility and application details are included below.
- Undergraduate or graduate students must attend an accredited college or university and play for the school’s hockey team (club teams included).
- The winning student will receive $1,000 to be used toward his or her degree. In addition, we will award $250 book scholarships to the two runners-up
- The deadline for submissions is August 1, 2018. The winner will be announced on August 15.
Application details: 2018 Pro Stock Hockey Student Athlete Scholarship
Application Deadline: August 1, 2018
AbbVie IBD Scholarship Program
This program recognizes the obstacles faced by students living with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis and supports them in rising above their personal challenges in pursuit of their dreams.
Supported by an educational grant from AbbVie, Crohn’s and Colitis Canada will extend 10 one-time scholarships of up to $5,000 to students living with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis who are entering into or currently attending a post-secondary educational institution for the fall semester of 2018. The AbbVie IBD Scholarship is a competitive bursary.
For more information, or to access the online application, please visit ibdscholarship.ca.
Application deadline: June 1, 2018
Kevin Collins Abilities Scholarship
The Kevin Collins Abilities Scholarship, provided by C.W. Shasky & Associates, is presented to a post-secondary student with a disability.
One student will be selected on an annual basis.
The scholarship will award $3,000 to the selected candidate.
Students with a disability, who have at minimum one full semester left in their post-secondary education, are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
The selected candidate may in addition be offered an opportunity to “shadow” an employee in their respective field. The availability and length of any such opportunities will vary from year to year and will be discussed with the selected candidate.
Application Deadline: April 1, 2018
Lyle Makosky Values and Ethics Sport Fund
- Must be a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident;
- Must be active in Canadian sport; as an athlete, practitioner (coach, official, administrator) or educator (teacher, university or college faculty)
- If an athlete, must be engaged in post-secondary education
- Please submit applications here
Application Deadline: April 30, 2018
This scholarship is dedicated to full-time students who are currently enrolled in universities, college or high school and who are committed to living a health lifestyle.
Application Deadline: April 30, 2018 at midnight
“Whipper” Billy Watson Education Bursary & the Bloorview School Authority Bursary
For further details regarding the above noted bursaries, please visit this website.
Application Deadline: April 30, 2018 & May 1, 2018, respectively
WalmartOne Associates Scholarship
Who can apply?
This scholarship is dedicated to full-time students who are currently enrolled in universities, colleges or high schools and who are committed to living a healthy lifestyle.
How to apply?
- Simply fill out the below things and send to our email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include your name, email address, and the name of your current school and the institution that you will be attending for the 2017-2018 academic year.
- Include the name, phone number, and email address of at least one (1) reference that can verify your volunteer involvement.
- Use your answers to fully describe your community volunteer involvement and what it means to you to be a volunteer. Questions include:
- How do you help in your community?
- How long have you been volunteering?
- Why do you volunteer?
- What does volunteering mean to you and what has it taught you?
- What plans do you have to volunteer in the future?
We are currently accepting applications. The deadline to apply is April 30, 2018 at midnight, PST.
- The winner of the contest will be notified via email and announced on this page no later than 12 midnight PST on May 5, 2018.
- Payment of the scholarship will be remitted to the winner’s respective academic tuition services department in full no later than May 10, 2018.
- The $2,500 scholarship award will be sent directly to your college or university.
By submitting your article, you agree to give us the permission to use it either for promotional or marketing purposes on our site or partner site.
Application deadline: April 30, 2018 at midnight, PST
Paul G. Complin Memorial Scholarship
Air and Waste Management Association (AWMA) Ontario are offering two scholarships to students in the sciences and engineering fields.
For details, please contact email@example.com
Application Deadline: January 31, 2018
ArmYourDesk.com wants to help college students reduce the college expenses burden, so it is providing a scholarship. This is the first try to offer scholarship to students. If it works well, ArmYourDesk will increase the winner numbers or the prize next year. ArmYourDesk.com is willing to help more students to complete their college education.
Here is the scholarship page: armyourdesk.com/pages/scholarship
Prize: $500; one winner
Applicants need to be full-time college students. Applicants need to write a short essay on a certain theme, and the essay will be the only evaluation criteria of the final winner.
Application Deadline: May 11, 2018
AgoraPulse Social Media Management Scholarship
A $1,000 scholarship available for emerging social media geniuses. All scholarship information can be accessed at agorapulse.com/social-media-management-scholarship
Application Deadline: December 15 of each year
EnergyRates.ca is offering a $500, essay-based scholarship open to any student attending a post-secondary academic institution in the U.S. or Canada. The prompt for the essay is as follows:
You can talk about anything you want — green energy, oil politics, the continued use of nuclear power, your personal ideas and innovations — so long as it’s about energy in the world of tomorrow. What do you think people will be reading about in the news in a few years?
All information on the scholarship including the details, rules, deadline and online submission form are available on the scholarship page.
Application Deadline: January 31, 2018
Soroptimist International of Peterborough is sponsoring the Live your Dream Education and Training Awards for Women
- The Live your Dream award assists women in post-secondary education/training programs who provide the primary source of financial support for their families
- Local Peterborough chapter award: $2,000
- Local winner can compete for the regional award: $5,000
- The regional winner can compete for 1 of 3 international awards: $10,000
To apply, visit soroptimistpeterborough.ca and click on the “Apply for a Program Award” link (Live your Dream)
Application Deadline: January 15 each year
Indspire Scholarship and Bursary
Indspire disburses bursaries and scholarships through its Building Brighter Futures program to Indigenous students who are enrolled in post-secondary programs.
Since 1985, Indspire has disbursed bursaries and scholarships to First Nation, Inuit, and Métis post-secondary students. It is the largest funder for Indigenous education outside of the federal government.
Successful futures are created through hard work, creativity, and perseverance. Each one of us has a unique potential to achieve, and for First Nation, Inuit, and Métis students, Indspire is here to help make that happen.
613-969-1913 ext. 2202
Financial Aid Advisor
613-969-1913 ext. 2425