A scholarship is an award recognizing academic excellence or achievement. In certain cases, financial need may be taken into account as a secondary criterion to decide between candidates of approximately equal achievement.
A bursary is an award that is distributed based on financial need. When applying for a bursary, you must supply a financial disclosure form. Bursaries may also request that applicants meet certain geographical or demographic requirements. All bursaries are presented at the Awards Ceremony in the fall, unless otherwise noted.
An award is a loosely defined term referring to awards that are neither scholarships nor bursaries. In certain cases, awards may be plaques or recognition certificates, while in other cases awards may be professional memberships coupled with cash prizes. All awards are presented at the Awards Ceremony in the fall, unless otherwise noted.
General bursaries, based on financial need, are available from funds set aside from tuition fees. These bursaries are awarded in both November and February. Contact the Financial Assistance Office for further details and an application. Please note that in addition to bursaries, a total of $300,000 is available College-wide through the Loyalist work study program.
An entering student is an individual who is entering post-secondary education for the first time. An entering student may not necessarily have come straight from high school. An entering student may also be a mature student who is entering college after several years in the workforce.
A returning student is an individual who has completed their first year of studies in a two- or three-year Loyalist College program.
A graduating student is an individual who is completing their two- or three-year program of study at Loyalist College. Many award and scholarship recipients are identified by program coordinators as having excelled in their studies. These awards generally recognize achievement once a student is graduating from Loyalist College.
A post-graduate student is someone who has graduated from a university or college program and is now entering post-graduate studies at Loyalist College.
The Bursary application is now closed for the Winter semester. There will be additional bursaries for students taking programs during the Summer semester (available on April 20).
Students are also encouraged to pursue awards that are available in the community and not exclusive to Loyalist College. Please check out the opportunities below.
Fairstone’s Next Step Financial Award Program
Fairstone, a national Canadian financial services company, is offering ten $4,000 financial awards to students graduating from a Canadian college this April. The intention of this award is to help students avoid debt as they graduate college and take on the next step of their lives – their career.
For more details, visit FairstoneCanada.ca/Next-Step.
Application Deadline: April 13, 2018
OFCP Awards 2018
The Ontario Federation for Cerebral Palsy has long been advocating and promoting awareness, understanding and acceptance of persons with physical disabilities, as well as assisting individuals to develop to their utmost potential.
This year the Ontario Federation for Cerebral Palsy’s Board of Directors is offering two scholarship awards, the Eric Waldron Scholarship Award and the Nicholas Milojevic Scholarship Award, both in the amount of $500.
For details, please click here.
Application Deadline: July 5, 2018
Final Fantasy Scholarship
A $1,000 Scholarship For Lovers Of Final Fantasy Games.
The Final Fantasy Fan Scholarship is a highly competitive award for high school and college students who enjoy the Final Fantasy game franchise. You have invested many hours in the world of Final Fantasy, and now you have the opportunity for Final Fantasy to invest in your world!
For scholarship details, click here.
Application Deadline: December 15, annually
Canadian Technical Asphalt Association Scholarships
The CTAA Scholarships are funded by the Canadian Technical Asphalt Association to support students preparing for careers as scientists, technologists or engineers in the general area of asphalt paving technology.
- CTAA Graduate Scholarship – $2,000 (Available to graduate students)
- CTAA Undergraduate Scholarship – $2,000 (Available to undergraduate students)
- CTAA Technology Scholarship – $2,000 (Available to students enrolled in a technical school, community college or CEGEP. Applicants with industrial experience in asphalt technology are encouraged to apply.
- 2018 CTAA Application Speifications English Scholarship
For more information, go to ctaa.ca
Loginy awards scholarships to students from all over the world whose intention is to make a positive contribution to the future of the world. As a company, we decided to give a hand to students who are struggling financially and thus established an annual Student Scholarship with which we give away $3,000 every year to one student.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college or University, located anywhere in the world for the 2018-2019 academic year
- Must agree to our Rules and Regulations
What to do
Write a 1,000-word essay describing your community volunteer involvement and what it means to you to be a volunteer.
Application Deadline: 11:59 pm EST on June 30, 2018
Consolidated Credit Counselling Services of Canada Scholarship Program
Consolidated Credit is providing a $1,000 Scholarship opportunity to any of your past, current or future Canadian students.
Consolidated Credit understands the pressures student debt can create and we’d like to offer to relieve a well deserving student of the stresses so we created the $1,000 Consolidated Credit Counseling Services of Canada Scholarship. We aim to help students pay off some of their student loan debt and help cover the costs of higher education like tuition and books.
For scholarship details and rules for participation, click here.
Application Deadline: April 9, 2018
Canadian Association of Women in Construction Annual Bursaries
The Canadian Association of Women in Construction (CAWIC) is a not-for-profit organization of women working in various construction-related fields. Its mandate is to facilitate the long-term success of women in the construction industry. For more information, please visit our website at cawic.ca.
Since CAWIC was incorporated in 2005, it has awarded a number of bursaries each year to women who were enrolled in post-secondary institutions, in construction-related programs. This year it is offering four bursaries of $1,500.00 each to qualifying female students who are currently enrolled in a construction related field of study, are planning to continue with their program in Fall 2018 and have completed at least one year of a full-time, related diploma or degree program. They must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents in Canada.
One of the four (4) CAWIC bursary awards is a special Female Leadership Bursary, which rewards the female student who best exemplifies leadership qualities in her academic, work and personal life. This is intended to be an annual bursary awarded to the applicant who demonstrates exceptional leadership qualities and a desire to help others, in addition to meeting all other required CAWIC criteria.
In addition to the general bursary category, there is an industry-sponsored bursary available for $2,000, offered by General Contractors’ Section, Toronto.
Additional information on CAWIC’s bursaries is available on our website at cawic.ca.
Application Deadline: May 30, 2018
The Electro-Federation Scholarship Program
Electro-Federation is offering $156,250 across 62 scholarships for Canadian university & college students. Students must have successfully completed first year with a minimum 75% average.
Click here for the online application site in both English and French.
Application Deadline: May 31, 2018
Haywood Hunt & Associates Inc. Scholarship Program
Our company, Haywood | Hunt & Associates Inc. based in Toronto, is proud to announce our inaugural Scholarship Program for the 2018 – 2019 school year! This scholarship is available to Canadian college and university students
Here are the details:
- Available to all accepted or enrolled Canadian University and College students.
- Must apply to the contest via email, providing your name, email, phone and educational institution.
- Applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org in word format, no link to Google Docs or PDFs.
- Students are asked to write a short 500 – 1000 word essay on how “The Internet and Social Media have changed the way that Police and Law Enforcement investigate crimes.”
- Contest closes August 31, 2018
- Winner will be chosen Friday, September 7, 2018
Please click here for application details.
Application Deadline: August 31, 2018
The Microdea – Synergy Scholarship Fund
To be eligible, applicants, must meet the following criteria:
- Must be currently attending a post-secondary institution
- Applicants under 18 must have permission from a parent or legal guardian
- Applicants must provide their name, address, and the name of the institution they’re attending
For complete details, please visit learn.microdea.com/scholarship
Application Deadline: July 31, 2018 at 11:59 pm EST
Dr. E. Bruce Hendrick Scholarship Program
Open to Canadian citizens with spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus residing in the province of Ontario.
For details, click here.
Application Deadline: Last day of April
Eligibility and application details are included below.
- Undergraduate or graduate students must attend an accredited college or university and play for the school’s hockey team (club teams included).
- The winning student will receive $1,000 to be used toward his or her degree. In addition, we will award $250 book scholarships to the two runners-up
- The deadline for submissions is August 1, 2018. The winner will be announced on August 15.
Application details: 2018 Pro Stock Hockey Student Athlete Scholarship
Application Deadline: August 1, 2018
AbbVie IBD Scholarship Program
This program recognizes the obstacles faced by students living with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis and supports them in rising above their personal challenges in pursuit of their dreams.
Supported by an educational grant from AbbVie, Crohn’s and Colitis Canada will extend 10 one-time scholarships of up to $5,000 to students living with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis who are entering into or currently attending a post-secondary educational institution for the fall semester of 2018. The AbbVie IBD Scholarship is a competitive bursary.
For more information, or to access the online application, please visit ibdscholarship.ca.
Application deadline: June 1, 2018
Lyle Makosky Values and Ethics Sport Fund
- Must be a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident;
- Must be active in Canadian sport; as an athlete, practitioner (coach, official, administrator) or educator (teacher, university or college faculty)
- If an athlete, must be engaged in post-secondary education
- Please submit applications here
Application Deadline: April 30, 2018
This scholarship is dedicated to full-time students who are currently enrolled in universities, college or high school and who are committed to living a health lifestyle.
Application Deadline: April 30, 2018 at midnight
“Whipper” Billy Watson Education Bursary & the Bloorview School Authority Bursary
For further details regarding the above noted bursaries, please visit this website.
Application Deadline: April 30, 2018 & May 1, 2018, respectively
WalmartOne Associates Scholarship
Who can apply?
This scholarship is dedicated to full-time students who are currently enrolled in universities, colleges or high schools and who are committed to living a healthy lifestyle.
How to apply?
- Simply fill out the below things and send to our email: email@example.com
- Include your name, email address, and the name of your current school and the institution that you will be attending for the 2017-2018 academic year.
- Include the name, phone number, and email address of at least one (1) reference that can verify your volunteer involvement.
- Use your answers to fully describe your community volunteer involvement and what it means to you to be a volunteer. Questions include:
- How do you help in your community?
- How long have you been volunteering?
- Why do you volunteer?
- What does volunteering mean to you and what has it taught you?
- What plans do you have to volunteer in the future?
We are currently accepting applications. The deadline to apply is April 30, 2018 at midnight, PST.
- The winner of the contest will be notified via email and announced on this page no later than 12 midnight PST on May 5, 2018.
- Payment of the scholarship will be remitted to the winner’s respective academic tuition services department in full no later than May 10, 2018.
- The $2,500 scholarship award will be sent directly to your college or university.
By submitting your article, you agree to give us the permission to use it either for promotional or marketing purposes on our site or partner site.
Application deadline: April 30, 2018 at midnight, PST
ArmYourDesk.com wants to help college students reduce the college expenses burden, so it is providing a scholarship. This is the first try to offer scholarship to students. If it works well, ArmYourDesk will increase the winner numbers or the prize next year. ArmYourDesk.com is willing to help more students to complete their college education.
Here is the scholarship page: armyourdesk.com/pages/scholarship
Prize: $500; one winner
Applicants need to be full-time college students. Applicants need to write a short essay on a certain theme, and the essay will be the only evaluation criteria of the final winner.
Application Deadline: May 11, 2018
AgoraPulse Social Media Management Scholarship
A $1,000 scholarship available for emerging social media geniuses. All scholarship information can be accessed at agorapulse.com/social-media-management-scholarship
Application Deadline: December 15 of each year
Soroptimist International of Peterborough is sponsoring the Live your Dream Education and Training Awards for Women
- The Live your Dream award assists women in post-secondary education/training programs who provide the primary source of financial support for their families
- Local Peterborough chapter award: $2,000
- Local winner can compete for the regional award: $5,000
- The regional winner can compete for 1 of 3 international awards: $10,000
To apply, visit soroptimistpeterborough.ca and click on the “Apply for a Program Award” link (Live your Dream)
Application Deadline: January 15 each year
Indspire Scholarship and Bursary
Indspire disburses bursaries and scholarships through its Building Brighter Futures program to Indigenous students who are enrolled in post-secondary programs.
Since 1985, Indspire has disbursed bursaries and scholarships to First Nation, Inuit, and Métis post-secondary students. It is the largest funder for Indigenous education outside of the federal government.
Successful futures are created through hard work, creativity, and perseverance. Each one of us has a unique potential to achieve, and for First Nation, Inuit, and Métis students, Indspire is here to help make that happen.
613-969-1913 ext. 2202
Financial Aid Advisor
613-969-1913 ext. 2425