Academic Operational Policies
|Subject:||Planned Cancellation of Classes||Number:||AOP 202|
|Issued by:||Vice-President Academic||Date Issued:||October 2004|
|Supersedes:||ACAD 113||Page:||1 of 1|
|Links:||Accommodation for Religious Observance – AOP 200||Revision
Cancellation of Classes
A timetable outlining the classes, times, and room locations is provided to students at the time of registration. If a class must be cancelled, students should be provided with adequate notice and an explanation of how the class will be made up.
1. Scheduled classes will be cancelled only upon authorization of the Dean or designate other than those due to faculty illness.
2. Students will receive at least 24 hour notification of class cancellation other than due to faculty illness. In the event of inclement weather, students will receive notice as soon as possible, as per ADMIN 105.
3. Students will be provided with written notification of how the class will be made up or the requirements of the alternative learning assignment.
Procedures, Roles and Responsibilities
1. When a faculty requires a class to be cancelled, he/she will notify the dean and office coordinator.
2. The office coordinator will post a notice of cancellation on the classroom door as soon as notification has been received.
3. Faculty will inform students of the cancellation and of the procedure to be followed by posting information on the Learning Management System (LMS). In the event that an 8:00 am class must be cancelled, the cancellation will be posted by faculty on the LMS no later than 7:00 am of that day.
4. In the event that the faculty absence is extended beyond two days, the Dean will consult the faculty member and communicate to the students a contingency plan for students to obtain the curriculum content.
5. The Office Coordinator will maintain a record of cancelled classes and will advise the required College personnel, as required.
6. Faculty will communicate to the Dean the plan of action for the students obtaining the curriculum content missed due to the cancellation of the class and will post the plan on the LMS at a minimum, within 48 hours.
7. This policy does not apply in cases of scheduled campus closure or personal illness.