During a common first year with four different Justice Studies programs, students gain insight into human behaviour and Canada’s social and political structures. It gives them the flexibility to transfer directly into the second year of Police Foundations, Community and Justice Services, or Protection, Security and Investigation. In only one additional year, graduates can complete a second Justice Studies diploma – doubling their career options!
Police Foundations (PFND)
Police services across Ontario and Canada need you NOW. Thousands of new recruits of ALL ages are needed to fill constable positions. Loyalist College Police Foundations will prepare you for this engaging and exciting career. We will:
- Provide an opportunity to experience 120 hours of placement with a police service, seeing the job firsthand, networking with police officers.
- Help you get physically fit and learn the current fitness standards for the job.
- Guide you in mock criminal investigations.
- Introduce you to forensic evidence theory and practice.
- Give you a strong foundation in criminal and provincial law.
- Provide an opportunity to testify in a mock court trial, in a provincial court setting.
- Let you role play police activities in Loyalist College PFND uniforms with police training equipment.
- Interact with police and community agencies through volunteer opportunities.
Our graduates get jobs in law enforcement; RCMP, OPP, Municipal/Regional Police Services.
Police Foundations: for Work That Matters.
Customs Border Services (CUSB)
At Loyalist you will train for a career in this growing segment of law enforcement through realistic practice scenarios and learn with leaders in virtual learning environments. Our border simulations have been used by the Canada Border Services Agency to train new recruits.
- Gain eight weeks of on-the-job experience before you graduate, with two four-week placements in the private sector.
- Team up with Human Resources Management students to participate in mock employment activities.
- Get an employment edge with a certificate in Non-Violent Crisis Intervention.
Explore a career building stronger, safer communities by helping people at risk gain the skills and support they need to make positive choices. There is such a strong demand for community and justice services professionals that many students receive job offers before they graduate. We offer more than 60 options for placements from coast to coast, in a variety of settings such as:
- Community services agencies
- Justice services agencies
- Adult corrections
- Youth custody facilities
- Group homes
- Provincial correctional facilities
- Residential facilities for people with developmental disabilities
- School settings
Extensive hands-on training in this two-year program will prepare you for a wide range of careers in security, enforcement, investigations, inspection, risk assessment and emergency planning. Recent PSIN placements include:
- Canadian Forces Bases from Comox, B.C. to Gagetown, N.B.
- Alcohol and Gaming Commission
- City of Toronto corporate security
- Hydro One corporate security
- CKR Global private investigations
- Sears retail loss prevention
- City of Ottawa by-law enforcement
- OC Transpo special constable
- University of Toronto special constable
- Darlington nuclear facility