Academic Operational Policies
|Subject:||Accommodation for Religious Observance||Number:||AOP 200|
|Issued by:||Vice-President Academic||Date Issued:||October 2004|
|Supersedes:||N/A||Page:||1 of 1|
|Links:||Cancellation of Classes – AOP 202||Revision
Accommodation for Religious Observance
Introduction and Purpose
This policy and its associated procedure outline Loyalist College’s approach to accommodating its community’s observance of religious holidays.
This policy applies to the Loyalist College community.
Loyalist College is committed to respecting the religious beliefs and practices of all members of our learning community, and to make accommodation for religious observances as required. Every effort will be made to avoid academic scheduling in-class assignments, placement, co-op, clinical, tests or final examinations on days identified as significant religious events.
1. The list of religious days will be consistent with those in the Ontario Public Service Religious Holiday policy. Accommodations for religious holidays not included in that policy will be addressed on a one-on-one basis.
2. Students requiring an accommodation for a religious holiday are required to notify the appropriate faculty member(s) using the approved form at least two (2) weeks prior to the required holiday (if appropriate). It is the student’s responsibility to contact the faculty member to arrange for accommodation for any academic or field work situation that conflicts with a day or period associated with the religious observances.
3. It is the student’s responsibility to inform the field work site supervisor at least two (2) weeks in advance (if appropriate) of their need for accommodation regarding religious observances.
4. For students, every effort will be made to avoid scheduling of in-class formal assessments on days of special religious significance to particular students throughout the academic year.
5. If a text or exam is scheduled on an observed religious holiday, the Academic Centre for Testing (ACT) can be used to take tests before or after the date of the test. Students and faculty must follow the Missed Test Procedure on the ACT website for booking a test. If a student emails or brings with them a signed Accommodation Form to the ACT, the Missed Test fee will be waived.