Academic Operational Policies
|Subject:||Student Participation in Formal College Activities||Number:||AOP 230|
|Issued by:||Vice-President Academic||Date Issued:||June 2013|
|Supersedes:||N/A||Page:||1 of 2|
Student Participation Form (Appendix A)
Student Accommodation Request (Appendix B)
Student Participation in Formal College Activities
To provide a mechanism to address evaluations missed by students participating on Varsity Athletics teams, Student Government, the College Board of Governors or other formal College activities.
- As the participation of students in Varsity Athletics, Student Government, the College Board of Governors and other formal College activities benefits the College as a whole, the College will recognize the time commitment required of students who are members of the Varsity Athletics teams, Student Government, the College Board of Governors and those who participate in other approved College activities, who are in current good academic standing, by rescheduling evaluation sessions, if requested.
- Students are to notify their course faculty member of their need for a rescheduled evaluation 10 days, when possible, prior to the scheduled date.
- Faculty members are to extend reasonable consideration to members of Varsity Athletics teams, Student Government, the College Board of Governors, and any student participating in a formal College activity by:
3.1 extending deadlines for submission of assignments, lab reports, and similar projects;
3.2 giving alternate assignments;
3.3 being lenient about attendance, late arrival to or early leaving from classroom sessions, labs or practicums; and,
3.4 adjusting the regular academic timetable of the student to facilitate the Varsity Athletics, Student Government, College Board of Governors or other College-sanctioned activities, where possible.
- In the case of a missed evaluation or lab session, a revised evaluation or an alternate lab session will be rescheduled as soon as possible after the original date.
- If the student does not believe the accommodation offered by the faculty member is reasonable, the decision can be appealed to the dean or designate, as per the Academic Appeal policy (AOP 231).
- Students participating in Varsity Athletics, Student Government, the College Board of Governors or any other formal College activity will be required to complete a Participation form and submit it to the Program Coordinator at the beginning of each semester that the student is involved with this group and/or event or as soon as possible when the event dates are confirmed. The Program Coordinator will communicate this to the faculty and send an electronic copy of the form to the Office Coordinator. Electronic copies of these forms will be kept on the P Drive by the Office Coordinators.
- If a student requires accommodations to be made for an evaluation or assignment, the student will submit a written request using the Student Accommodation Request form (Appendix B) for a rescheduled evaluation or assignment due date, stating the reasons for the absence, to the faculty member, with a copy to the Program Coordinator 10 working days prior to the scheduled date, when possible. Exceptions to these timelines will be made only in circumstances when the event or athletic contest in conflict with the course evaluation and has been scheduled less than 10 business days from the evaluation.
- The faculty member will respond in writing to the student’s request using the Student Accommodation Request form (Appendix B) within five (5) working days, or sooner if the date of the conflicting event is prior to that, to set the date of the rescheduled evaluation, or accommodation to be provided. The faculty member will also send an electronic copy to the Program Coordinator and Office Coordinator to be filed on the P Drive.
- If accommodation presents a challenge to either party, the faculty member will consult with the dean or designate for a solution.
- If a classroom is not available for the test, the Testing Centre will be used at no cost to the student.
- If the student believes the accommodation offered is unfair, the student may appeal the decision as per the academic appeal process in AOP 231.