Academic Operational Policies
|Subject:||Academic Appeal Process||Number:||AOP 231|
|Issued by:||Vice-President Academic||Date Issued:||November 26, 2013|
|Supersedes:||ACAD 210 – 2002 02 14||Page:||1 of 4|
Academic Appeal Process
- Introduction and Purpose
During their experience at Loyalist, issues of concern to students may arise from time to time. These issues can either relate directly to their grades and academic progress, or to other matters.
The intent of this policy and its associated procedure, is to ensure that, in the event of disagreements between students and the College or its staff, the College follow processes which are effective, fair, timely, and respectful of students while maintaining academic integrity.
This policy applies to all Loyalist College students, faculty and staff.
- Policy Statement
The College faculty and staff are strongly committed to resolving student concerns at the informal level. However, in the event that it is not possible to resolve the concern through the informal process, students may choose to pursue a formal Academic Appeal.
The associated procedures provide details of the formal Academic Appeal process at Loyalist and relate to appeals in response to:
- A penalty for academic dishonesty
- A penalty for breach of confidentiality
- Actions taken by the College as a result of a student’s failure to meet minimum program performance standards
- A failing grade in a specific course
- Actions taken by the College as a result of student behaviour at any College approved activity or function, whether organized, informal, on campus, off campus, or online, including inappropriate use of computer facilities or other College property
- Other issues which may impede a student’s academic progress during their experience with the College