Cyber Security – Loyalist College in TorontoNEW
Available as a two-year program
Two-year Ontario College Graduate Certificate
- Start Date
September, January and May entry
Find your career
Cyber security professionals are in high demand and find careers working in a range of sectors, including computer systems design, financial institutions, public administration and government departments.
Develop essential skills in the following:
- Network management
- Operating systems
- Cyber forensics
- Cloud security
- Penetration testing
- Wireless and mobile security
- Incident response techniques
How You'll Learn
Experiential Learning, including a semester-long co-op experience
With this hands-on program, gain the knowledge and skills needed to protect and support organizations’ cyber security needs:
- Learn how to develop, implement and evaluate cyber security solutions to protect organizations from internal and external threats.
- Practise assessing defensive programming and cyber security strategies, and gain experience recommending security controls for the effective maintenance and deployment of cyber security solutions to protect systems and information.
- Acquire skills for designing and implementing cyber security polices and strategies using project management principles.
- Develop strategies for optimizing the effectiveness of the information security in a business environment through risk mitigation and information systems auditing.
- Explore designing and implementing vulnerability assessment procedures to identify and solve existing network security issues.
- Get first-hand workplace experience during a co-op in semester four.
While completing this program, students will have the opportunity to acquire in-demand industry certifications concurrently with their studies.
- First Year - Semester One
- COMM1076 Business Communications in Canada
- This course prepares students to use appropriate business communication techniques such as report writing, presentation skills, and how to build client relationships within a Canadian business environment.
- CYSE1003 Computer Network Design and Implentation
- Learn to design, implement, maintain and troubleshoot network solutions.
- CYSE1004 Cyber-Security Principles and Best Practices in Canada
- Learn about the principles of cyber security and best practices when utilizing cyber security tools and techniques to prevent common cyber threats within a Canadian context.
- CYSE1001 Information Security Fundamentals
- This course introduces the fundamentals of information security.
- CYSE1002 Introduction to Computer Programming
- Introduces computer programming and algorithms.
- CYSE1000 Introduction to Networking and Data Communication
- Introduces networking and data communication principles.
- First Year - Semester Two
- CYSE1007 Cloud Security
- Learn to configure cloud computing and address the associated security risk and cyber threat mitigation.
- CYSE1006 Cryptography and Data Encryption
- Develop skills and knowledge about cryptography in data privacy, integrity, non-repudiation, digital signatures, and authentication.
- CYSE1005 Implementing Security Policies in Operating Systems
- Develop skills and knowledge about securing data and services on various operating systems.
- CYSE1009 Wireless Communication and Mobile Security
- Further develop skills with wireless technology including wireless security and client access, WLAN design, maintenance and troubleshooting, and remote wireless access.
- CYSE1008 eCommerce and Web Security
- Develop skills with various tools and techniques to ensure the security of e-businesses and web applications.
- Second Year - Semester Three
- CYSE2003 AI for Smarter Cyber-Security
- Apply artificial intelligence (AI) for the development of intelligent security systems to automatically detect and prevent cyber attacks.
- CYSE2002 Cyber Crime Law, Forensics and Investigation
- Explore the legal issues related to cyber crimes. Develop technical expertise and investigative skills to perform forensic investigations.
- CYSE2004 Cyber-Security Incident Response
- Learn how to effectively respond to cyber security incidents.
- CYSE2000 Ethical Hacking and Penetration Testing
- Learn about the concepts of ethical hacking and penetration testing to enable understanding of a hacker's mindset to better protect networks.
- CYSE2001 Secure Network Infrastructure and Routing and Switching
- Learn how to secure network infrastructure devices including routers, firewalls, switches, servers, load-balancers, intrusion detection systems, domain name systems, and storage area networks.
- Second Year - Semester Four
- CYSE2005 Cyber-Security Co-Op
- Apply cyber security skills in a Canadian working environment.
*Courses subject to change.
How much will it cost?
Approximate costs per year (2020 – 21)
The following fees do not include living costs, textbooks or additional program-specific expenses/supplies.
- International Tuition: $14,332.50
- Ancillary Fees: $902.38
- Health Insurance (mandatory): $600
- Total: $15,834.88 CAD
*Fees subject to change. The above tuition and fees are based on two semesters of study per academic year.
Required academic preparation
A diploma or degree in Information Technology from a recognized college or university or equivalent.
All teaching within Loyalist is conducted in English. In order to be successful in a program, skills such as communication, listening comprehension, and reading and writing must be at a level sufficient to meet the demands of post-secondary studies. All applicants to Loyalist whose first language is not English, or whose previous education was in another language, will be expected to provide an English proficiency assessment for admissions approval. Details about language and general admission requirements are available here.
How to Apply
International students may now apply to Loyalist College in Toronto by contacting email@example.com.
As a graduate of Loyalist's full-time Cyber Security post-graduate program, you may be eligible to advance your profession through the following certification pathways:
Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) Cyber Security
Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH), Ethical Hacking and Penetration Testing
Certified Associate in Python Programming (PCAP)