Esthetics and Spa Management
Available as a two-year program
Spas and salons are increasingly popular destinations for people wanting to reduce stress and feel younger. Train in a full range of spa services to help people look and feel their best. Then, put those skills to work, both in our on-campus, student-run day spa and during two field placements.
Two-year Ontario College Diploma
- Start Date
September and January entry
Find your career
Estheticians and spa therapists are creative, caring and innovative professionals who help people look and feel their personal best. Our program prepares you with the skills to:
- Travel and work locally or throughout Canada in hotel spas, day spas, wellness centres, medical spas and luxury resorts. Work as a freelance make-up artist or mobile spa operator.
- Find opportunities as a skin therapist, nail technician, spa therapist, spa manager and owner or sales representative.
Our grads get great jobs
- Spa Therapist, Ste. Anne's Spa
- Esthetician, Beauty Works Day Spa
- Assistant Manager, Polish Salon and Spa
- Owner and Nail Technician, Dazzling Nails
- Esthetician, Salon You & Day Spa
- Spa Therapist, NuLife Skin and Spa
- Make-up Artist, Studio 237
- Spa Supervisor and Assistant Spa Manager, The Royal Hotel
- Spa Therapist, Bloomfield Beauty Co.
Is it for you?
People who enjoy a career in esthetics and spa management are:
- Caring and empathetic
- Able to manage several tasks at once
- Skilled at time management
- Comfortable mixing with people from all walks of life
What employers say
“The placement students and employees we have at the Day Spa from Loyalist are very well trained. It’s a good program and the graduates are wonderful.”
Proprietor, Salon You
“Loyalist’s Esthetics program has high standards and teaches students the skills they need for success. Their students excel in everything from business to hands-on practical treatments, and their grads are highly sought after in the industry.”
Owner, Beauty Works Day & Medi Spa
In this hands-on program, students operate The Spa at Loyalist, a busy wellness retreat and retail boutique delivering full esthetic services in a supervised environment:
- Train in a full range of spa services in a safe learning environment, including manicures, pedicures, facials, hair removal, make-up artistry, aromatherapy and hot stone massage.
- Get the highest technical skills in Loyalist’s lab using the latest in skincare technology, including microdermabrasion and facial machinery.
- Work with new state-of-the-art medical spa equipment, including the Sonicator 740, an anti-aging skincare system that applies ultrasound technology, and the IPL Angelite, an Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) machine used for photo facials and permanent hair reduction.
- Deliver high-end customer service as you interact with clients.
- Develop important skills in front desk management and the latest point-of-sale software.
- Learn the business side of spa management with instruction in visual display, retail sales, marketing, personal finance, business communications and entrepreneurship.
- Create a business plan including a spa design layout and creative spa menu showcasing a variety of skills learned in the program.
- Earn 180 hours of clinic time in our state-of-the-art, full-service spa.
- Network and showcase your skills to industry, with two field placements.
- Learn from reputed guest-speaker educators.
- Participate in community outreach events to support local women and children.
- Be proficient and fast with skills by practicing skills throughout the two years.
Outstanding faculty make the difference
- Faculty bring extensive spa experience, industry connections and passion to the spa lab.
- Learn from experts in aromatherapy, microdermabrasion and traditional Eastern diagnosis techniques, with experience at the prestigious White Oaks Resort and Spa in Niagara-on-the-Lake.
- Before designing this program, the coordinator owned and operated a full-service day spa catering to high-end clientele ranging from the Australian Ballet to beauty editors at top fashion magazines.
Work-integrated learning through guest speakers
Sabrina Goulet, NAOS (Bioderma, Institut Esthederm and Etat Pur)
Esthetics and Spa Management graduate Sabrina Goulet, NAOS Regional Educator for the English territories, recently appeared as a guest speaker at the Virtual Spring ESI Trade Show. An event Loyalist College Esthetics & Spa Management students attend.
Chrissie Paraschos, RefectoCil Training
Photo courtsey of Chrissie Paraschos.
Institute Esthederm – Paris, France
- First Year - Semester One
- COMM1077 Communication for Spa Therapists
- In this course, you will explore interpersonal communication for the spa environment, including ethical, verbal and non-verbal communication for clients and coworker interaction; customer service will also be explored.
- ESTH1022 Manicures & Pedicures
- Pedicures have remained one of the leading services requested by spa clients. In this course, you will develop the theoretical knowledge and practical skill required to perform a professional manicure and pedicure service. In lab sessions, you will have the opportunity to utilize various polishing techniques and use advanced products. Theoretical topics include the structure, diseases and disorders of the hand and foot with a focus on decontamination protocols and treatment modifications for diabetic clients.
- NUTR1003 Nutrition and Wellness
- Maintaining optimum health and wellness is necessary for a balanced life. In this course, you will be exploring the many dimensions of wellness for mind, body and spirit. Topics will include stress management, nutritional requirements for optimum health, and practical techniques to promote overall personal well-being.
- ESTH1021 Skin Care 1
- Skin care is an integral part of every service preformed in a spa. In this introductory course, you will begin with learning how to utilize an in-depth client consultation intake form to offer a safe and customized skin treatment based on skin types and conditions. Treatment steps you will learn include cleansing, skin analysis, toning, exfoliation, massage, mask application and recommending home care products. Anatomy and histology of the skin are introduced.
- ESTH1012 Spa Clinic 1
- In this foundational course, you will learn spa workplace health and safety, infection control procedures, and day-to-day spa operations using point-of-sale software. An orientation to client relations will give you the foundation you need to begin performing services in the on-campus spa at Loyalist.
- ESTH1020 The Spa Industry
- In this course, you will focus on an introduction to the spa industry and various career paths available for qualified estheticians and spa managers. You will begin the development of a comprehensive skills portfolio, which will be expanded throughout the two-year program as your skills advance. On-campus training certificates with industry partners will give you an advantage as you utilize your portfolio for placement and employment interviews.
- GNED General Education Elective
- General Education Courses
- First Year - Semester Two
- ANAT1003 Anatomy and Physiology
- In this foundational course, you will gain an understanding of human anatomy with diseases and disorders that relate to the body’s major organ in order to understand contra-indications or modifications for spa treatments.
- WKPL1021 Field Placement
Placement – You will experience day-to-day operations of a spa or cosmetic retail business of your choice in order to observe customer service and business strategies in an authentic environment. Networking with industry employers and professional development opportunities are highly supported by faculty.
Prerequisite: COMM 1077, ESTH 1020, ESTH 1021, ESTH 1022
Co-requisite: WKPL 1020
- ESTH1006 Hair Removal
- Hair removal services have evolved with time. In this course, you will practise with the most professional waxing products on the market today. Learning to be mindful of hair type and skin sensitivity, you will practise the use of hard and soft waxes to address hair removal on a variety of areas on the body. Content in this course includes the structure and growth pattern of hair and discussion of methods such as tweezing, electrolysis, laser, sugaring and threading with an introduction to intense pulsed Light (IPL) and Brazilian waxing.
- ESTH1024 Make-up Artistry
- Beginning with an introduction to face shapes and colour theory, you will learn how to apply makeup techniques on varied skin types for situations including daytime, evening, photography and weddings. Band lash application and airbrush makeup techniques are introduced and practised.
- WKPL1020 Professional Portfolio
In this course, you will prepare for experiential learning opportunities at a host establishment in the spa industry. Workplace health and safety and industry networking are included.
Co-requisite: WKPL 1021
- ESTH1023 Skin Care 2
Building on to the basic skin care treatment, you will now acquire the knowledge and skills needed to perform specialized facial treatments based on skin types and conditions. A focus will be on the pathogenesis and treatment of acne, utilizing specialized products to treat and recommend as home care. You will learn industry standard electrical machinery procedures for enhanced results; advanced massage and serum use is also included.
Prerequisite: ESTH 1021
- ESTH1013 Spa Clinic 2
In this course, you will practise advanced spa therapy treatments in the on-campus spa. Home care maintenance products are prescribed for each guest, and in-spa treatment education is given to support guest retention and rebooking of services. Concepts such as maintaining treatment results, multi-servicing and high-end customer service are implemented. Spa management and visual merchandising skills are also further developed.
Prerequisite: ESTH 1012, ESTH 1021, ESTH 1022
- COMM1050 Spa Marketing & Communication
- This course develops writing and presentation skills for the workplace with a range of computer skills to facilitate the design, creation and delivery of these business communications. Through a progressive series of writing and presentation tasks, you will use email, memoranda, short reports, individual and group presentations to create focused messages, with appropriately-sourced facts, for a variety of business audiences. Internet research, basic word-processing and presentation software skills support the process.
- GNED General Education Elective
- General Education Courses
- Second Year - Semester Three
- ESTH2006 Advanced Nail Treatments
Expanding on nail treatments, you will learn advanced techniques such as polishing with light-cured gel products, nail mending, overlays, tip application, gel sculpting with forms and modern nail art designs; all will be practised and documented to include in your skills portfolio.
Prerequisite: ESTH 1022
- ESTH1007 Body Treatments 1
Destination and day spas specialize in body treatments for a total wellness experience for clients. In this course, you will build on your skincare and anatomy knowledge to perform professional relaxation body massage techniques such as Swedish massage and hot stone massage. Consultation with health screening is emphasized as well as professional draping techniques for client comfort.
Prerequisite: ANAT 1003
- ESTH2005 Sales and Social Enterprise
- In this course, you will explore spa marketing and sales techniques to grow your clientele, increase earning potential and become engaged in the community. You will learn how to develop a spa marketing plan using popular social media platforms where existing and potential clients can engage with your business.
- ESTH2001 Skin Care 3
Skin care is constantly advancing and anti-aging treatments are highly sought after. In this course, you will learn with spa industry equipment and techniques that will manage the signs of aging. Microdermabrasion and high level chemical formulations for exfoliation will be practised in accordance with industry guidelines for safety. The newest ingredients for aging skin and aromatherapy to treat various skin conditions are also explored.
Prerequisite: ESTH 1023
- ESTH1014 Spa Clinic 3
Spa therapists build their skill set to independently employ effective interpersonal and communication skills. Spa treatments and recommendations to clients on essential home maintenance products are delivered. Front desk skills, including expectations for dress, hygiene and grooming, are further developed in an authentic learning environment.
Prerequisite: ESTH 1013, ESTH 1023, ESTH 1006
- ESTH2004 Spa Management 1
- This course provides an introduction to effective spa management operations for entry-level spa managers. Spa organization, ethical buying, community networking, sales analysis and team building meetings are included. Point-of-sale software for spa operations is used for financial reports that include internal revenue, commissions, gratuities and end-of-day procedure analysis.
- GNED General Education Elective
- General Education Courses
- Second Year - Semester Four
- ESTH2002 Advanced Spa Therapies
An understanding of cosmetic surgical procedures and advanced ingredient technology is addressed. You will practise medical spa treatments such as Intense Pulsed Light and ultrasound for face and body.
Prerequisite: ESTH 2001, ESTH 1007
- ESTH1015 Body Treatments 2
Building on Body Treatments 1, you will learn to develop a customized spa body treatment plan for guests. Advanced skin analysis, professional draping techniques and stress therapy services, including an at-home treatment regime for spa profitability, are also included.
Prerequisite: ESTH 1007
- WKPL2002 Field Placement 2
WKPL 2002 is a workplace integration course in which you will use all acquired skills to secure potential employment. Spa therapists complete 70 hours of placement in an esthetics establishment of their choice.
Prerequisite: ESTH 1008, ESTH 1007, ESTH 1014, ESTH 2001, ESTH 2004, ESTH 2005
- ESTH1016 Spa Clinic 4
As final preparation for employment, you will independently demonstrate all practical and spa management skill sets. You will work and manage the community-driven Spa at Loyalist for problem-solving opportunities in all areas of a live spa environment. Community networking and spa promotional skills are also explored in this course.
Prerequisite: ESTH 1014, ESTH 2001, ESTH 1007
- ESTH2003 Spa Management 2
You will analyze professional associations, government policies and resources for business owners and managers. Health and safety, hiring practices, workload contracts and payroll are included. Accounting reports and financial statements using spa software are also explored.
Prerequisite: ESTH 2004
- ESTH1011 Visual Merchandising
- You will be introduced to creative ways to display product, gift wrap, choose appropriate colours, and decorate the salon for the desired atmosphere. Sales and customer service is included.
*Courses subject to change.
Turn your diploma into a degree
Many universities across Canada and abroad will provide credit recognition for your diploma studies at Loyalist College. The following is a list of agreements that are currently in place. There are many more options, and new agreements are added annually. Contact your university of choice to make individual arrangements. Click here for more information about university transfer agreements.
- Algoma University – B.A.; B.B.A.; B.Sc.; Bach. Computer Science
- Brock University – various*
- Davenport University – B.A. Management
- Lakehead University – various*
- Laurentian University – various*
- Limerick Institute of Technology – Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Business Studies with Beauty and Spa Management (Year 3)
- Nipissing University – various*
- Queen's University – various*
- Ryerson University – various*
- Seneca College – Bach. Interdisciplinary Studies
- Ontario Tech University – various*
- University of Waterloo – various*
- University of Windsor – various*
- Wilfrid Laurier University – various*
- York University – various*
* Various potential degree pathways. Please confirm details with the receiving institution.
Post-grad at Loyalist
- Expand your qualifications with a double diploma in another College program, in as little as two semesters
- With just one further year of study, earn a post-graduate certificate in Public Relations – Event Management
Explore opportunities to continue your studies in Ireland:
How much will it cost?
Approximate costs (2022 – 23)
- Domestic Tuition: $2,722.08
- Full-Time Ancillary Fees:* $1,462
- Total: $4,184.08
Additional costs, such as supplies, travel and parking, may be incurred during workplace visits, etc.
*Fees related to programs that are less than or greater than two semesters will be adjusted accordingly. Fees are subject to change. Please visit the Tuition and Fees web page for a list of the many services, activities and items included within the ancillary fees, and the related policies.
Bursaries and financial assistance
Loyalist College has a number of scholarships, bursaries and academic awards available to students. Our Financial Services Office can help you explore your options, or assist you with a student loan.
Required academic preparation
- OSSD/OSSGD or equivalent with courses at the general, advanced, (C), (U) or (M) level, AND
- Grade 12 English (C) level or equivalent
- Up-to-date immunization is required as part of the registration process.
- Standard First Aid and Level “C” CPR certification are recommended for graduates.
Prior learning assessment and recognition
Applicants with work experiences or other types of non-credentialed learning may be eligible for credits at Loyalist. Graded credits (as opposed to exemptions) are granted. Click here for more information about our assessment and credit challenge process.
Click here for information about how to apply, international student fees and more.
LOYALIST COLLEGE GRADUATES RECEIVE BROADCAST EDUCATORS ASSOCIATION OF ...
Belleville, Ontario, June 21, 2018 – Two recent graduates of Loyalist College’s three-year Film and TV Production Ontario College Advanced Diploma program have received a Broadcast Educators Asso... Read More
LOYALIST COLLEGE TO OFFER DEGREE PROGRAMS THROUGH LIMERICK INSTITUTE O...
Belleville, Ontario, May 4, 2018 – Graduates of numerous Loyalist College two- and three-year diploma programs now have the opportunity to earn a degree in as little as one academic year through ad... Read More
LOYALIST COLLEGE SKILLS COMPETITION WINNERS ANNOUNCED
Belleville, Ontario, March 9, 2017 – Loyalist College is pleased to announce the winners of the 2017 Loyalist College Skills Competition. Over 80 competitors from five school boards competed on Tue... Read More
It may seem like the time is never quite perfect to start a new chapter in your life. But why wait? A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Loyalist College offers a variety of progra... Read More
Loyalist College Presents 119 Awards at the 47th Annual Convocation Ce...
Belleville, Ontario, June 5, 2014 – Loyalist College is proud to announce the presentation of 119 awards to graduates at the 47th Annual Convocation Ceremonies on June 5 and 6. The awards, with a to... Read More
In the News
CND Shellac Professional nail care for the Spa Therapist. Spa clinic 2, Semester 2.
Mask make-up regimes during remote Make-up Artistry class.
Nail foil and marble effect, Nail Art, Semester 2.
Nail art portfolio submission, Spa Clinic 3, Semester 3.
Toenail polish application, spa clinic 4, semester 4.
Polish and gel polish, nail art designs.
Eyebrow Shaping, Spa Clinic 3, Semester 3.
Graduating student (4th-semester), performing a facial using Institute Esthederm advanced training protocols.
Graduate & Student Awards
Congratulations to all graduates and award recipients!
2021 Esthederm Student of the Year Award
2021 Outstanding Spa Therapist Award Sponsored by STE. Anne’s Spa
Awarded to Kate-Lynn Andrews
2021 Spa at Loyalist Dedication Award
Awarded to Stephanie Gianeselli
2021 Spa Management Award Sponsored by The Mahogany Day Salon & Spa
Awarded to Brittany Norman
2021 Alumni Distinction Award
Awarded to April Gregoire
Beauty Works Day Spa – Belleville, Ontario
Esthetics and Spa Management graduate Kya Mann's Beauty Works Day Spa Placement PowerPoint.
Salon You – Belleville, Ontario
Esthetics and Spa Management graduate Brittany McFaul on placement at Salon You in Belleville.
For a full description of our facilities and services, see loyalistspa.com